Praline Update - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Chinchilla Discussion Twitching whiskers, fluffy tails, silky soft fur and all else chinchilla!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-17-2004, 12:34 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Lifer

Praline Update

Well, I was hoping to have better news.

Praline was finally taken off of a 4 week course of Baytril on Thursday. She wasn't eating much because her GI tract was so out of whack thanks to the Baytril, so I was very happy to be able to stop the dosing.

I pulled her out last night (she runs from me now ) to inspect the leg and found the joint and the toes were swollen and hot again, indicating infection.

I'm taking her back in today but I don't know what good any more anti-biotics are going to do her. I'm seriously considering amputation as an option at this point.

The only thing I hesitate on is that she's MISERABLE without any levels in her cage. She sits on top of her PVC pipe all evening long and hates this one level cage. I'm not sure how safe it would be to have a 3 legged chinnie in a multi-level cage. I suppose I could do pine ramps but ... I just don't know how well she'll adjust.

I'm really disappointed in how this worked out, I was hoping she was on the mend. I wish she hadn't been in breeding when it happened, I've have just amputated then and saved her a lot of pain and stress. I'll let you all know what we decide later on tonight.

(Sorry for the dismal post, I just needed to get it out ...)

Stephanie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-17-2004, 12:56 PM
Poo dont scare me!!!

Oh Jade...Im so sorry...I hope that you can figure it out and not worry too much...Maybe she will adjust just fine with three legs...A lot of animals dont even know its gone...I dont know about a chinnie, but Im crossing my fingers for you! Im sorry you have to keep going through this. I hope Praline feels better soon!
~Melissa

post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-17-2004, 01:05 PM
PT's Troll Hunter

Hey Jade, I'm sending you and Praline long distance hugs!

I agree with Melissa, a lot of animals get along just fine with three legs. I bet Praline would be just as active and just as capable.

Best of wishes to you and her, don't worry! You'll make it through!
Take it easy, Praline!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-17-2004, 01:18 PM
User Is No Longer Welcome

Aww Jade I'll be keeping both of you in my prayers & thoughts
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-17-2004, 01:53 PM
I Think I Need a Bigger Bear

Jade, I'm so sorry. I know you'll make the right decision on what to do. I'll be thinking of you both...

~ Jodi ~

post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-17-2004, 01:58 PM
Super Soaker Snot Ball Shooter

I think chins are very tough animals and can adjust to situations well. I've heard of quite a few 3 legged chins that do just fine in multi-level cages. If she does need to have her leg amputated (which I'm praying that it doesn't come to that)....let the leg heal and then slowly work on introducing her back into the multi level cage. I'll bet she will surprise you.

Rhonda

post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-17-2004, 05:12 PM
Fluffy Potatokisser

Oh Steph! I'm so sorry! You did all you could to save her leg, but it does sound as if amputation is going to be the best option. I've heard of tripod chinnies being in multilevel cages and doing well...as long as the shelves aren't spaced too far apart. It also sounds as if the ramps are a good idea too. Ty's mom is a tripod Black Velvet, so you may want to contact her former owner for some ideas. Let me know and I'll send you her e-mail address...You met Jenny at Nationals when you picked up Jetta from her for me. I'm sure she has lots of suggestions for you.

Chin Mom to Lila, Skye, Ty, Rolex, Calypso, Lizzie, Jax, Sam, Sage, Lorenzo, Spitfire, Holly, Dylan, Leia, Punky, Kylie, Skylar, Jetta, Oreo, Emma, Forest, Georgie, Alexis, Picador and all the kits!
Pittie Mom to Kali and Orion
Rattie Mom to Drake and Dumbo
Bunny Mom to Dutchie
Plain ole Mom to Zach, Brandon and Connor!
Come visit us at
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-17-2004, 05:19 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Lifer

Well Dr. P actually didn't think we needed to do that just yet, she thinks it's healing okay. I'm a paranoid mommy, as usual. I'm going to give it a week and put her back on pain meds, because she started chewing the toes again. I think it hurts or tingles as it's healing so she's chewing/licking at the toes. I'm going to try to start some 'physical therapy' of the joint and bend/flex it several times in a row a couple times per day, hopefully to give her more range of motion and decrease the swelling.

If she goes downhill, I'll still consider amputation, but it's on the back burner for the moment.

Thanks for all the well wishes!

Stephanie

post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-17-2004, 08:46 PM
Super Soaker Snot Ball Shooter

What about using the collar again....or is that a bad idea?

Rhonda

post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-17-2004, 08:48 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Lifer

She won't eat with it on at all, so I'm keeping it as a last resort. I'm going to try pain management for now and see if that solves the problem. She hasn't caused any bleeding or wounds on them like last time, so we'll see.

Stephanie

post #11 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-17-2004, 08:48 PM
Movin' Up in the Pack

I am so sorry for all your worries. Please remember chins take a very long time to heal from an injury-6 months is common. If you are worries about inflamation causing problems talk to your vet about adding vitamin C to her diet. V c is great as an anti-inflamitory which in turn will reduce pain and itching as it heals. It will be a worry some time the whole while she is healing, believe me I totally understand your stress I have been through it many times and dread anymore times to come. Your doing great with her I'm sure but she is probably worrying about you!!!

Team Captain: Mother of 250 chinchillas!
New litters weekly...I must be nuts
post #12 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-17-2004, 09:33 PM
Paw-Talk Golden Member

Awww, I really hope she gets better!

*Brandy*

|
|
|

post #13 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-17-2004, 09:40 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Lifer

Thank you for the suggestion, Debbie! I've tried to give her vitamin C chewable tablets in the past without much luck, but I do have some rose hips and could give her a few daily. I'll also search for a different flavor of vitamin C.

Yes, I've been very worried about her. The worst part is she's my sweetest chin and now runs from me instead of coming right to the door for scratches.

Stephanie

post #14 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-17-2004, 09:53 PM
Movin' Up in the Pack

Ideas: Powdered c is available , also capsules are powder and can be sprinkled on feed, supplement and placed in fresh water daily.

She will return to her lovable self and probably be even more lovable when she recovers. Try not to be hurt or worried.

Team Captain: Mother of 250 chinchillas!
New litters weekly...I must be nuts
post #15 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-18-2004, 10:15 AM
Incubator Cricket Killer

Aww Jade, I'm sorry she's still having problems! Hopefully it won't come to this, but My Nicodemus does just fine on his 3 legs. I keep him in a single level cage for now, but I'm thinking about getting or making a cage with a really gradual ramp that leads to a low second level (just incase of falls). Just something I've been thinking about. It sounds like she'll be fine though. And don't worry, she'll love you again. Ernie even came back around, despite all of the meds and feedings I forced on him.

Tags
black velvet, level cage