Praline's hurt. - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Chinchilla Discussion Twitching whiskers, fluffy tails, silky soft fur and all else chinchilla!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 66 (permalink) Old 04-07-2004, 08:28 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Lifer

Unhappy Praline's hurt.

I walked into the chin room about an hour and a half ago to find her sitting on the bottom of the cage (Martin's R-695 - same cage she's been in for over a year). I opened the door expecting her to run over for scratches and she huddled closer to the side of the cage. I nudged her and she moved, which was when I noticed her leg sitting at a weird angle. I have no idea whether she fell, got it caught, what she did.

I immediately called my vet (on-call 24/7, bless her!) and she was out to dinner with her family from out of town but would come in after dinner and look at her. I took her in and left her on some nice cushy fleece in a one level cage in the exotics ward with some pain meds in her system. My vet will call when she's looked at her.

The leg may or may not be broken. She's putting weight on it but there's blood in a couple spots (a minute amount, like from a scrape) and it's pretty swollen. Poor baby was grinding her teeth in the car. She was also trying to eat the seatbelt holding her carrier in place so that was encouraging.

She also may or may not be in early pregnancy, so that throws a large wrench into things. We'll probably x-ray her tonight and see if it's broken. I'll update you all when I know, I just wanted to ask for some prayers and thoughts for my baby.

I always thought I would be calmer in this situation but I guess when it's your baby and not someone else's ...

Stephanie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 66 (permalink) Old 04-07-2004, 08:30 PM
Tarzan Mama of Two

awww Steph I'll be thinking of you and your poor little chin. I hope everything is okay...keep us updated please.

Too lazy to even think of a siggy
post #3 of 66 (permalink) Old 04-07-2004, 08:35 PM
Angel to Abandoned Puppies

AWWW Hon!! Big hugs and prayers are right there with you. You know my heart is aching with you too. I am here, no matter what if you need me ... CALL ME

MCBA Member

I've Been Frosted
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 66 (permalink) Old 04-07-2004, 08:57 PM
Fluffy Potatokisser

Steph, I'm so sorry! My mom called at the most inopportune time! Hopefully it's just a sprain and not broken! Her cage looked safe to me! Poor girl! I'll be on most of the night so please let me know how she does. If you need to talk, you have my number. Call Me! I'm usually up till about 3 or 4AM, so don't worry about waking me! Just in case you've misplaced my number, I PMed it to you!

Chin Mom to Lila, Skye, Ty, Rolex, Calypso, Lizzie, Jax, Sam, Sage, Lorenzo, Spitfire, Holly, Dylan, Leia, Punky, Kylie, Skylar, Jetta, Oreo, Emma, Forest, Georgie, Alexis, Picador and all the kits!
Pittie Mom to Kali and Orion
Rattie Mom to Drake and Dumbo
Bunny Mom to Dutchie
Plain ole Mom to Zach, Brandon and Connor!
Come visit us at

Last edited by Chinchilla_Girl; 04-07-2004 at 09:00 PM.
post #5 of 66 (permalink) Old 04-07-2004, 09:11 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Lifer

Good news! She went ahead and x-rayed her leg only (to avoid undue radiation to her abdomen in case she's pregnant) and said she doesn't see any fractures. It's probably just a bad sprain. She said she wouldn't recommend splinting it at this point, due to the stress factor. Praline would probably chew it off anyway. She did have some minor scrapes so she may have gotten it caught in the wire of the cage somehow then freed herself, but my vet said they were very superficial and shouldn't pose an issue.

I am going to keep her in a one level cage for a while and let her heal, then transfer she and Aston to the melamine cage. She's going to stay there overnight so my vet can take a look at her in the morning, then I'll bring her home.

Thank you all for your well wishes!

Stephanie

post #6 of 66 (permalink) Old 04-07-2004, 09:15 PM
Wants to Hug Hose Bunnies

Oh Steph, I am SO-SO-SO glad she is going to be okay! i cannot imagine how scared you had to be when you found her. i will keep a quick recovery in my prayers for her! ((((HUGS)))))

post #7 of 66 (permalink) Old 04-07-2004, 09:15 PM
Fluffy Potatokisser

Oh thank goodness! I was just about to call you! Praline should heal up okay if it is a sprain and keeping her in a one level cage for now is a good idea. Poor Girl! At least you know she's going to be okay! Sending more prayers and healing vibes for a speedy recovery!

Chin Mom to Lila, Skye, Ty, Rolex, Calypso, Lizzie, Jax, Sam, Sage, Lorenzo, Spitfire, Holly, Dylan, Leia, Punky, Kylie, Skylar, Jetta, Oreo, Emma, Forest, Georgie, Alexis, Picador and all the kits!
Pittie Mom to Kali and Orion
Rattie Mom to Drake and Dumbo
Bunny Mom to Dutchie
Plain ole Mom to Zach, Brandon and Connor!
Come visit us at
post #8 of 66 (permalink) Old 04-07-2004, 09:18 PM
Paw-Talk Addict

I'm glad she only has a sprain! That is great news .. it could have been a lot worse!

I hope she feels better ...
post #9 of 66 (permalink) Old 04-07-2004, 09:27 PM
Super Soaker Snot Ball Shooter

Thank goodness it's not broken! Poor baby girl. I hope she recovers quickly.

Rhonda

post #10 of 66 (permalink) Old 04-07-2004, 09:34 PM
Paw-Talk Addict

Oh my gosh you must have been a wreck Thank goodness she's ok!

I'll keep her in my thoughts and I'm glad you'll be reunited soon.

That poor baby - give her a smooch for me when you can.
I'll bet you wish you could solve the mystery and know exactly what happened to cause the injury...
Thank goodness she's going to be OK, I'm sure you are so, so relieved.

[center]

[
post #11 of 66 (permalink) Old 04-07-2004, 09:45 PM
Formerly Known as Masterjack

I'm glad it's not broken! I hope she's feeling better soon.

I've Been Frosted!
post #12 of 66 (permalink) Old 04-07-2004, 09:55 PM
Resident Chatroom Blonde

Glad she is going to be okay.I will keep her in my thoughts and prayers.

post #13 of 66 (permalink) Old 04-07-2004, 10:02 PM
Angel to Abandoned Puppies

thank goodness!!! I am so glad for you both. Keep us posted.

MCBA Member

I've Been Frosted
post #14 of 66 (permalink) Old 04-07-2004, 10:45 PM

I am glad to hear that her leg was not broken (hugs)
post #15 of 66 (permalink) Old 04-08-2004, 01:50 AM
Incubator Cricket Killer

I'm so glad her leg wasn't broken, that's a bad spot to be in for both of you. I hope her leg feels better soon! Hugs to you both

Tags
chew toy, chew toys, chin room, heat cycle, level cage