Praline's new collar ... - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Chinchilla Discussion Twitching whiskers, fluffy tails, silky soft fur and all else chinchilla!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-15-2004, 02:03 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Lifer

Praline's new collar ...

This poor girl is hating life soo much right now. My sweet baby who'd let me scratch her for as long as I wanted is now running from me.

Here's her new collar. It IS working, she can't get to the foot, which is what we want. She's also miserable because she can't really lay down comfortably or even so much as wipe her nose with her front paws if it itches. It's so pitiful to see her try through the collar! I try to scratch it for her but she just bites me.

Anyway, here's my girl.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg collarfilm.jpg (30.4 KB, 23 views)

Stephanie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-15-2004, 02:05 PM
Angel to Abandoned Puppies

awwwwwwww bless her heart

MCBA Member

I've Been Frosted
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-15-2004, 02:10 PM
Fluffy Potatokisser

Awww. Steph! Hopefully she isn't pregnant and you can get more aggressive with the pain management. She'll heal and forgive you for the collar and feedings...she's just cranky and uncomfortable.

Chin Mom to Lila, Skye, Ty, Rolex, Calypso, Lizzie, Jax, Sam, Sage, Lorenzo, Spitfire, Holly, Dylan, Leia, Punky, Kylie, Skylar, Jetta, Oreo, Emma, Forest, Georgie, Alexis, Picador and all the kits!
Pittie Mom to Kali and Orion
Rattie Mom to Drake and Dumbo
Bunny Mom to Dutchie
Plain ole Mom to Zach, Brandon and Connor!
Come visit us at
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-15-2004, 02:28 PM
User Is No Longer Welcome

OMG I'm so sorry she has to be like this... She looks so sad... I really hope she gets better fast... I'm praying every night for her
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-15-2004, 03:05 PM
Formerly Known as Masterjack

Poor girl! I really hope she heals quickly so she doesn't have to wear that collar much longer.

I've Been Frosted!
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-15-2004, 03:49 PM
Poo dont scare me!!!

Poor baby!! I hope she gets feeling better soon, and realizes that her mommy does love her!

post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-15-2004, 04:48 PM
Super Soaker Snot Ball Shooter

The poor thing. Don't worry, when the collar comes off she'll have forgotten about it in a matter of a couple days. You're doing what is best for her right now.

Rhonda

post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-15-2004, 04:55 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Lifer

Well now she may be forming an abscess near the joint where she'd chewed. I just had to give her an injection of Baytril (which can cause cartilage growth issues in babies) because the Sulfatrim is probably not going to be strong enough.

I don't know what else to do, I'm dis-infecting it 3 times a day and keeping Silvadene (anti-biotic creme) on it pretty much as often as I'm able (5? 6 times a day?) and it still got to this point.

AUGH!

Stephanie

post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-15-2004, 05:08 PM

Can chin's have miss-carriages? And if so, does it happen often??? (Sorry for the stupid question)
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-15-2004, 05:17 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Lifer

Yes, they absolutely can. It's not 'common' but it can happen. The danger is if she doesn't expel the fetus and develops an infection known as pyometra, or if the fetus mummifies and can't be expelled. If it's early enough, sometimes the mother will actually absorb the fetus and be fine. It all depends. This right here is why I caution any beginner against jumping into breeding - it comes with risk and heartache, along with the cute babies. And unless you have many chins, you won't profit from the sales when it balances out, either.

Btw, no question is stupid. I'd talk about chins all day and be perfectly fine.

Stephanie

post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-15-2004, 05:43 PM

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jade
This right here is why I caution any beginner against jumping into breeding - it comes with risk and heartache, along with the cute babies. And unless you have many chins, you won't profit from the sales when it balances out, either.
Thanks for the answer

(That sounds like dog breeding also... You don't really make any $$$ off of dog breeding, and lots of heartache)
post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-15-2004, 05:43 PM
Super Soaker Snot Ball Shooter

I really don't know what to say except that I'm really sorry you and Praline have to go through this.

Rhonda

post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-15-2004, 05:48 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Lifer

Any time, Nicole. Feel free to ask, I'm happy to answer if I know it and will find it for you if I don't!

I don't know what to say/do either anymore, Scarlette. I'm pretty discouraged at her lack of progress. I keep hoping she'll go into heat ... If she did I could at least manage her pain and up the antibiotics.

Stephanie

post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-15-2004, 05:58 PM
Wants to Hug Hose Bunnies

How long will Praline have to be collared? I feel so bad for both of you.

post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-15-2004, 06:04 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by capnsweets
How long will Praline have to be collared? I feel so bad for both of you.
It's hard to say. It may be weeks. Dr. P said sometimes they'll stop chewing once the infection is resolved, but there's no telling.

Thanks for the support, Nicole. You all are just so great, you're really keeping me looking toward the positive. Chris is 'supportive' but just doesn't understand the emotional part of it because he isn't attached like I am. It's hard for a person who's never been there to truly understand.

Stephanie