Pregnancy through cage wire? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Chinchilla Discussion Twitching whiskers, fluffy tails, silky soft fur and all else chinchilla!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-21-2010, 12:13 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

Question Pregnancy through cage wire?

I read on a few websites recently that it's possible for a male chin to impregnate a female through the cage wire if their cages are right next to each other. Does anyone know if this is true?

I'm getting a bit worried because my boy and girls cages are next to each other and one of my girls' belly is getting a big and feels hard. She's over a year old so I don't know if thats just what she's looking like now she's finished growing or if I'm being paranoid. She sleeps in a fleece tunnel so she's always on her side anyway, I can't see or feel any teats under her arms and it's very difficult to weigh her as she refuses to keep still
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-21-2010, 09:01 PM
I'm not weird, I'm gifted

It depends on how close the cages are.
But yes, it is possible.

/Pia

I apologized if my english is not correct
Owned by chinchillas since 1997
Breeding since 2005

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
<-- Check out my blog for Chinfo
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-25-2010, 11:39 AM
Kansas City Chinchillas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chinchi View Post
It depends on how close the cages are.
But yes, it is possible.
I agree.

Cathy
Kansas City Chinchillas

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-27-2010, 08:04 PM
Adolescent Pup

i agree. i have a female that i have a very hard time weighing, so what i do is when i put her on the scale, i give her a raisin, and she will sit still for a few seconds.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-28-2010, 01:24 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

Just tried bribing her on the scales with the raisin but then she decided to run off with it! She's trying everything to get away from me now but she used to be really friendly and come sit on my lap. I think she knows what I'm up to

She's defiantly bigger than she was about a week ago. She looks like a grey and white beach ball now! I've never seen a picture of a 'fat' chin though. Maybe just too many pellets or bad brand of pellets if she's not pregnant?

I moved my boy Bobby's cage a few inches away so he can't get to my girls now. Hoping my other girl isn't pregnant as she was from a pet shop :/
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-06-2010, 05:36 PM
chinchilla breeder

I agree they can get pregnant through the bars

Kristy Morici
ABC CHINCHILLAS

Many high quality chinchillas Available..

post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-08-2010, 05:28 AM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

You were right, it was possible :/
Took Heidi to the vets who let me know she wasn't pregnant and when I got back Fizzy had 2 babies under her. So worried now coz she was from a pet shop
The kits looks so cute though
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-09-2010, 09:07 AM
Adolescent Pup

well thats a mixed blessing!! is your vet very trustworthy in your opinion?? the reason i ask is cause when i first got my chinchillas, i used the vet that was recommended to me by several different people. well i took my female cause she wasnt eating or anything, and i thought she might be pregnant, but i took her to the vet just to make sure. well he pushed on her tummy a little too hard, and ended up causing a miscarriage with one of the kits, she ended up giving birth a week later, then killed that kit when he was a week old. so just be sure that you can absolutely trust your vet.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-09-2010, 02:44 PM
I'm not weird, I'm gifted

Nothing to worry about
Pet shop animals is not the best thing to breed, but when a thing like this happens, you just have to look at the positive sites.
As long as they put on some weight every day (1-2 grams), they should be okay

/Pia

I apologized if my english is not correct
Owned by chinchillas since 1997
Breeding since 2005

<-- Check out my blog for Chinfo
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-10-2010, 09:08 PM
Kansas City Chinchillas

When weighing chins I put my hand in front of the chin's eyes. Not touching the chin just about 2 inches in front of the eyes. They don't run off because they can't see where they are going. This works pretty well most of the time.

Cathy
Kansas City Chinchillas

Tags
chinchilla, pregnancy