pregnent chinchilla? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Chinchilla Discussion Twitching whiskers, fluffy tails, silky soft fur and all else chinchilla!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-10-2011, 01:54 PM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

pregnent chinchilla?

sooo i think my chinchilla is pregnent. i say think because i never saw or heared them mate and i havent found a plug in the cage since this time ish last year and she didnt get pregnent then. but anyway over the last few weeks ive noticed her stomach has gotten bigger, i reached in to pet her and its defenitly firm where as if i poke my male his tummy goes squish. anyway i picked her up as gently as possible (shes not a fan of being held hence im not to sure) and tryed to gently feel her stomach and i thought i felt something move other then her heartbeat and her hips are defenitly farther apart. =o so i want to know what i should do if she is indeed pregnent to help her prep (my vets out of town so i cant ask him T.T) ive already had her on vitamins for a wile so other then that i dunno what else to do.
oh and i do intend to get my male fixed eventualy.

!!My Pets!!
Chinchillas: Murry and Loki
Cat: Kessie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-10-2011, 10:49 PM
chinchilla breeder

You definitly should have researched this before breeding honestly. Are they a good pairing? are you sure they do not carry maloclusion as it is recessive? well either way....

She needs to be separated from the male until about a week after the kits are born, a female can be bred back (get pregnant again) days before delivery as well as after delivery.

I would not be adding any vitimins to the water, that causes bacteria to form in the water bottle and can actually be worse for her. She should be getting fresh water daily, lots of Hay and a high quality pellet, (not the ones with treats, a plain pellet)

She also needs to be moved to a baby safe cage, and please don't palpate her belly and untrained person can easily cause damage and distress to the kits. There is no way to be sure when they are coming so best to just get ready now and wait....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Kristy Morici
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
ABC CHINCHILLAS

Many high quality chinchillas Available..

post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-11-2011, 10:25 AM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

i wasnt really intending to breed them i just havent had the money to get my male fixed whenever i get enough i endup needing to spend it on bills or something else. my other cage was broken when i moved a few months ago and my friend is going to order me a new one tonight from petco, do you have any suggestions on what kind? i was looking at this one
http://www.petco.com/product/113678/...PCagesHabitats
my cousin is also a vet so shes going to take the hour drive down to take a look at her for me and
tell me whats up. i do change their water dailey (im a little paranoid about the water going bad after a friend agreed to watch my hamster in high school and didnt change their waster for the 2 weeks i left her with them)
also the woman i bought my male from was a vet and said he didnt carry maloclusion, as for my female i dont believe she does id have to wait for my vet to get back to ask.

!!My Pets!!
Chinchillas: Murry and Loki
Cat: Kessie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-11-2011, 08:32 PM
Rodentologist

I don't see how a vet lets her know the genetics of an animal? Malocclusion is a genetic illness. If your chins parents or grandparents or great grandparents have it, s/he can have it. They may not even be old enough to have developed the condition yet. If your vet doesn't have detailed, extensive pedigrees for both chins and claims to know whether htey 'carry' malocclusion they're lying.

We are as gods to the beasts of the fields. We order the time o' their birth and the time o' their death. Between times, we ha' a duty. - Terry Pratchett.

"Men have forgotten this truth", said the fox, "But you must not forget it. You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed. - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-11-2011, 11:07 PM
chinchilla breeder

I agree with Jennicat, a vet cannot look at a chinchilla and say they do not carry the recessive gene, and malo shows up after several years. And what are you going to do if there is a medical emergency from breeding these animals? if you cannot afford to nueter the male how are you going to afford an emercency C section? that costs about 2,000. Breeding can get very expensive when things go wrong they go very very wrong.

Kristy Morici
ABC CHINCHILLAS

Many high quality chinchillas Available..

Tags
chinchilla, pregnent