Problem with mothers milk... - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Chinchilla Discussion Twitching whiskers, fluffy tails, silky soft fur and all else chinchilla!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-24-2002, 11:55 AM Thread Starter
Member formerly known as MistyLea21

Problem with mothers milk...

Abbie, my mosaic that just had kits I believe is having a problem lactating. This is her 3rd litter and her first was fine, yet her last one the baby was born at a good weight, yet... she just didn't grow really. The baby is now nearly 4 months old and weighs 308 grams. She was taken away from mother at the beginning of April. She weighed 253 at the time of removal, and now seems to be gaining quicker since she is totally dependant on real food. I was hoping that the incidence was just a fluke. But now this litter, both babies were born at 50 grams... As of last night they would be 5 days old, and are only up to 55 grams each. They nurse all the time though.
Abbie is a wonderful mother, sweet and very large... I do not want to get rid of her. Is there some kind of lactation mix that can be given to her to help her lactate? I found a lot online for nursing cats and dogs... but don't know if that would be ok. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Misty

Silver Mist Studios

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Custom Designer Jewelry, Handmade Lampwork Glass Beads and More!

Eyes Of Texas Chinchillas

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-24-2002, 12:02 PM

Are you offering her cranberry or apple juice?
I give my lactating moms a bottle of 1/2 apple-1/2 water and a bottle of water. It seems that they drink more of the juice therefore they produce more milk.
Did the babies lose the first few days, and are now regaining? Have you felt her teats to see if they are full?
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-24-2002, 12:07 PM Thread Starter

Only one of the babies lost a couple of grams within the first day or so. But they are doing just like Savanna (the last litter) did, and simply now growing how they should. I don't really know what a full teet compared to a non-full feels like. I can give her some cranberry juice... but I don't know how much it'll help.

Misty

Silver Mist Studios

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-24-2002, 12:12 PM

Try the juice and see if it helps. I feel that my females get more milk production with the juices. If they are not gaining, you can also supplement them too.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-24-2002, 12:26 PM Thread Starter

Sassy, I just spoke with the lady I got Abbie from. She had her when Abbie had the problems with Savanna. This is her first litter with me... she was given juice and it didn't help.

Misty

Silver Mist Studios

post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-24-2002, 12:52 PM

Oh no! I would suggest to supplement the babies every few hours until they start eating pellets and hay.
Do you give calf manna (animax)? What brand of pellets are you using? Offer her a little more alfalfa hay (has more calcium).
This might be a little far fetched but try calling your vet, not sure if it is too late or not. He/She may have some suggestions.

I give my girls the white house apple juice with added calcium and vitamin c, they seem to drink more and milk production is great.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-24-2002, 12:58 PM Thread Starter

Yes she was given calf manna in with her mazuri pellets. She was also given Nutri-cal about 2x a week. How much should I supplement them? We have supplemented the babies only a couple of times, with whole milk, warmed. We tried to get a eyedropper full in them, but they nearly refused it... it was running all down their chins.

Misty

Silver Mist Studios

post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-24-2002, 01:21 PM

Hmmm, if they are refusing it, I would think that they are getting their tummies full from mom. Maybe it is not her milk production just that her kits seem to grow a little slower. Do they seem healthy otherwise? Can you weigh them daily for a few days? That should give you a idea of how much they are gaining per day.
I have never tried the whole milk with kits (other breeders have told me that) I always use Carnation Evaporated Milk mixed half and half with bottled water (it is a little sweeter than milk).
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-24-2002, 01:26 PM Thread Starter

Yes they do seem healthy otherwise... so does Savanna... she is just small. They seem to be gaining about 1 gram a day. I guess we'll see.

Misty

Silver Mist Studios

post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-24-2002, 01:46 PM

The vet might be able to give her a shot of oxytocin.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-25-2002, 10:22 PM

Misty,

The way to tell if the kits are getting enough to eat is to check their tummy. If it feels rounded and firm, then they are fine; if it flat and flabby, then you need to supplement them.

Tags
alfalfa hay