putting male back in with mom after being seperated for 10 days after birth - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Chinchilla Discussion Twitching whiskers, fluffy tails, silky soft fur and all else chinchilla!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-30-2010, 04:42 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

putting male back in with mom after being seperated for 10 days after birth

had my first litter of baby chins. i seperated the father from them and am planning on keeping him seperate for 10 days so the mom doesn't get bred back. they are VERY bonded and never aggressive to anyone or anything.
my concern is, should i be concerned about the father being aggressive toward the babies when i put him back with them?
i've tried to find info online about this, but can't find anything.
thank you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-30-2010, 04:46 PM
I'm not weird, I'm gifted

Nope.
If you are unsure, try letting the kits talk to dad a couple of minutes every day.
I've only had problems with the kits attacking dad.

But be careful when reintroducing him to mom. Sometimes it can go very wrong, even though they like each other very much. Mom can get very aggressive.

/Pia

I apologized if my english is not correct
Owned by chinchillas since 1997
Breeding since 2005

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
<-- Check out my blog for Chinfo
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-30-2010, 06:47 PM
chinchilla breeder

be careful and make sure you do this when you can be home to watch. Normally putting the male back in goes fine but sometimes the Female does not want the male back and the baby can get hurt in the tussel and on rare instances I have seen a male attack a baby before

Kristy Morici
ABC CHINCHILLAS

Many high quality chinchillas Available..

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-03-2010, 07:59 PM
Kansas City Chinchillas

I agree with the above. I would remove the babies when you put dad back in the cage. If all goes well for an hour or so then put the babies back. Most chin dads are great with their kits.

Cathy
Kansas City Chinchillas

post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-05-2010, 02:55 PM
Newborn Pup

we haven't had any problems with ours, however as we just had him castrated we have had to keep him away from them!!

But they spend an hour each evening out together & he loves his babies!
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-13-2010, 07:52 PM
Adolescent Pup

i agree, i dont think the dad would be agressive towards the kits, but i would be careful with mom. i had an incident where my female had kits so i removed dad and all that. well when it came time to put him back, she wasnt having it!!!! i had to wait until i weaned the babies and then put him back in there. this is the only time she has every done this, and they have had 5 litters together!!! they are very bonded, she just didnt want him in there when her babies were in there.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-14-2010, 01:36 AM
Newborn Pup

agreed! mom can be very defensive especially with new kits. Just have to keep an eye on them monitor them every second just in case!
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-14-2010, 11:27 AM
Newborn Pup

Update...

We let the whole family back together in the cage last weekend, & they've been fine, in fact they're all much happier...& no problems at all

post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-14-2010, 01:33 PM
Kansas City Chinchillas

Great news!

Cathy
Kansas City Chinchillas

Tags
breeding chinchillas