Question... - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Chinchilla Discussion Twitching whiskers, fluffy tails, silky soft fur and all else chinchilla!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-06-2006, 12:50 AM Thread Starter
RAT ADDICT

Question...

I don't have a chin...but a friend of mine does.Anyway she was telling me that she don't handle him much because he doesn't like it...I don't think that she really tamed it properly, as she was always "busy doing other stuff".Just recently she mentioned she wanted to find a new home for it because she couldn't handle him.My question is...does the chin still have a chance at becoming tame? Maybe I can talk her into keeping the chin and working with it...thanks...

* Lisa *

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-06-2006, 06:44 AM
Movin' Up in the Pack

Yes, there is a chance with an owner who will spend a lot of time with him. But, some chins never really get used to the idea of being held. It takes a lot of time and patience to help this type of personality become ok with handling.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-07-2006, 04:47 PM
Part of the Pack

I agree. My first chinnie, Chilla, was all by herself in the pet shop for 4 months before we bought her (which was also the reason we bought her) and she wasn't handled very much (if at all). It was very hard to bond with her, but she's definately coming around, and the time it took to bond with her was definately worth it.

Chilla's cage is in our living room so she gets a lot of attention and we let her out a lot, but still she won't let us hold her for too long. She's just now starting to accept us as one of her own (after almost a year!) and now she even lets us pet her and she grooms our hands in return. When she's out to play she hops up on the couch and sits on our laps and now she runs around and plays without even being scared.

If your friend needs help with starting to bond with him, tell her to talk to him a lot and to put her hand in his cage with some broken up shreeded wheat in it (unsweetened and no flavors added). Tell her not to try to pet him or anything and don't pick him up. Let him come to her -- that's the best way. If she tries to rush the bonding process it'll just take her longer.
Also, I'm guessing she doesn't let him out for playtime much. Tell her to let him trust her before she starts letting him out otherwise he'll just run and hide. Eventually when he trusts her enough she can let him out (after chinchilla-proofing the room of course) and sit on the floor with some shreddies in her hand and he can play and have treats outside of his cage.

I think it would be well worth it if your friend tried to bond with the chinnie. The poor little guy is probably so lonely (he should have at least had a play mate as chinnies don't do well alone). It's unfair for him not to have social contact, she should really spend more time with him or find him a good home if she doesn't have the time or doesn't want to make the effort.
Chinchillas are wonderful pets, and they're the best pets if you bond with them. I wish her luck and I hope she makes the right decision.

~*~ Kandy's Chinnies ~*~

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Chilla, our female

Twin boys, Cadbury and Punkin
Casper.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-07-2006, 06:41 PM Thread Starter
RAT ADDICT

Thanks...I will be sure to tell her.I think I will give her the link to this forum too...I am sure she will like it and get lots of advice for her pets...

* Lisa *

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-07-2006, 06:47 PM
Kansas City Chinchillas

If your friend doesn't have time to spend with her chin then it may be best to find him a home where he will get more attention. It's hard to know what your friend's situation is. I hope she is able to find the best solution to care for her chin.

Cathy
Kansas City Chinchillas

post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-14-2006, 08:16 AM
私は靖巣あなたを愛してI ♥ Yasuki

I agree, if she has the pacients, I think she will be able to tame her. But I also agree with Cathy. If you do not have the time to spend with her chin (or any animal in general) it is in the pets best interest to find a home where they will have the time to devote and spend with the animal.

// k a t ((d)) 猫ちゃん ☆~(ゝ。∂)
私は武井靖巣あなたをして

Tags
pet shop, wonderful pets