A question - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Chinchilla Discussion Twitching whiskers, fluffy tails, silky soft fur and all else chinchilla!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-07-2006, 12:51 PM Thread Starter

Unhappy A question

Hi everyone,

I need to ask a question, and it may not be a popular one, but i still need to ask it. It may sound insensitive, but it would help a lot if someone could answer.
For those who've had a chin pass, what do you do with them? And for those who haven't, what do you plan on doing when the time comes?
I only ask because my chin is 10 years old, and unfortunately reality is inevitable. And I really don't know what I'm going to do when the time comes. Can someone give some advice? Can animal hospitals take them in, even if you're not a regular customer?

Thanks for any help.

-nycchinguy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-07-2006, 02:04 PM

First, I'm very, very sorry. Secondly, are you questioning what to do with the remains? I don't have a chinchilla, but I don't think the question is species-specific, unless there's somthing you have to worry about because they are "exotics". When we had to have our kitty put to sleep we elected to have her cremated. It was a very traumatic event anyway (young cat, horrible illness) and the thought of having her remains somewhere unknown was very, very disturbing to me. So, we bought an urn engraved with a willow tree (her name was Willow) and we will be able to have her with us. To be sure, there are plenty of people that find cremation creepy, but to us it was comforting. I can't answer your question with any reliabilty as to what a regular animal hospital may be willing to take. Our regular veterianarian will dispose of remains, but again, for us...that thought was way too disturbing. I also grew up in the country, so all my childhood pets are buried in the backyard. Again, I'm sorry.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-07-2006, 04:21 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

The two (soon to be three) I've lost have been (will be) cremated.

Someday I plan to go to the Andes mountains and scatter their ashes over their native habitat, but for now they're with me.

Stephanie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-08-2006, 10:56 AM
I'm not weird, I'm gifted

The small girl we lost got a small box, and now she's out in our garden

/Pia

I apologized if my english is not correct
Owned by chinchillas since 1997
Breeding since 2005

<-- Check out my blog for Chinfo
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-08-2006, 08:32 PM

The two chinchillas I have lost (I've lost more than that) were cremated and put into an urn. The urns are beautiful, and I went to Things Remembered for a brass tag for the urn. The other chinnies we lost, the first one my husband threw away (still upset to this day about that) and the second one is buried in our backyard.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-09-2006, 01:11 AM
Fluffy Gerbilshorts

All my animals that have ever passed were buried by my dad in the backyard. He even marked all the graves with a stone or flower. There is a woman on a forum that I go to that will take the fur from a rat and put it into a vial. I don't know if you can find anyone like that or if she'll make a chinchilla kinda mold if you're into that kind of thing. Heres her link http://fureverkeepsakes.angelratdesigns.com/

*Missy*
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-10-2006, 09:29 PM

i would say it depends on where you live. i for instance, live in an apt. so i dunno what i'd do if my lil guy died.... but i guess it would depend on how much $$ i had also if i could afford the cremation and container. you can always freeze them i guess afterwards and then take care of them accordingly (my aunt did this one time in the dead of winter *here in mt the dirt freezes solid* with one of her cats that passed on) could be considered creepy, i dunno

Tags
animal hospital, regular vet