Question - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Chinchilla Discussion Twitching whiskers, fluffy tails, silky soft fur and all else chinchilla!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-17-2007, 02:17 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Pack

Red face Question

Are fresh carrots okay for chinchillas? Just wanted to ask before I did something wrong!

Thanks!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-17-2007, 05:36 PM
Proud New Mommy

I believe so, though we always dried ours out in a food dehydrator. Make sure it's given very sparingly though!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Live your beliefs and you can turn the world around"- Henry David Thoreau
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-17-2007, 05:38 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Pack

Thanks! I'll make sure its only a treat for once in a while!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-18-2007, 04:08 AM
I'm not weird, I'm gifted

If I eat a carrot, I let my chinnies taste.
Actually it's a quite nice way to enjoy your food

/Pia

I apologized if my english is not correct
Owned by chinchillas since 1997
Breeding since 2005

<-- Check out my blog for Chinfo
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-18-2007, 05:28 AM
Paw-Talk Lifer

I believe there is a new line of thinking now towards chinnies and fresh veggies, once it was frowned upon but now more and more people are trying them with small amounts upon veterinary advise. A UK chinchilla forum i'm a member off has a section on it and there is a lot of people trying it and coming back with positive results. The key is moderation and to only give a very small piece

My two won't touch anything remotely fresh looking but they go mad for dried veggies

Kirsty

Visit Degu Rock - Dedicated to Degu Care & Welfare Worldwide

post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-18-2007, 06:59 AM Thread Starter
Part of the Pack

Thank you for the information! Only one of my chins would try a piece of carrot. But he is VERY picky about what he eats. He doesnt like anything that is wet... And the carrots were a little damp from being in the fridge. My female took it right away so.. yeah! Thanks again!

post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-18-2007, 10:46 AM

Check out a book titled call "The Joy of Chinchillas". Chins can have fresh veggies and fruits, of certain kinds, in small amounts. the key being VERY small amounts. But, for ages chins in captivity have not had fresh things for the most part, so they are, for the most part, not used to digesting these as much anymore. That's why with their already VERY sensitive digestives systems, most breeders etc will recommened against it because there can be a fine line between an OK amount and an amount that can lead to severe gastrintestinal problems. And, some chins can personally handle things that other chins can't .So definitely be very careful feeding fresh things to chins. The main things they NEED are qualty, fresh pellets, and quality hay, and good clean drinking water.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-18-2007, 02:09 PM

My chins tried out fresh banana, apple, carrots and lots of other stuff. Also some bad things they've run of with, when they are out. Like chocolate and other things like that
But they are not dead yet...
I belive if a chinchilla is use to a lot of different things, it wont get as sick as a chin there's not use to a lot of things, if it steals something when it's out or something like that

/Pia

Breeding since 2005

post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-21-2007, 11:36 AM

I give Dewy carrots quite a bit. They are even a "treat" in his food mix. He doesn't like them cold so we rubb them inour hads to warm them up.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-21-2007, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chinchi
My chins tried out fresh banana, apple, carrots and lots of other stuff. Also some bad things they've run of with, when they are out. Like chocolate and other things like that
But they are not dead yet...
I belive if a chinchilla is use to a lot of different things, it wont get as sick as a chin there's not use to a lot of things, if it steals something when it's out or something like that
Not necessarily true. Somethings, like chocolate for instance, they are not going to get "used to". It can kill them. Kinda like Dogs don't get "used to " antifreeze..it's toxic.
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-21-2007, 10:33 PM
Adolescent Pup

Quote:
Not necessarily true. Somethings, like chocolate for instance, they are not going to get "used to". It can kill them. Kinda like Dogs don't get "used to " antifreeze..it's toxic.
I have to agree.

There is no one TRUE way

* Chloe * Jinx * Berry *
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-23-2007, 05:58 AM

How do you know chocolate can kill them?
Is it the chocolate or the milk they cant have?

Actually, the pellets we feed them are just some different stuf made into pellets, and chinnies got more healty by eating these. But how do you know it's the best food for chinnies? You dont actually know. Like in the wild, they eat bugs and eggs, but are there any animal protein in their pellets?

What do we know about our chinnie diet? Not much!

/Pia

Breeding since 2005

post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-24-2007, 07:42 PM
Proud New Mommy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chinchi
How do you know chocolate can kill them?
Is it the chocolate or the milk they cant have?

Actually, the pellets we feed them are just some different stuf made into pellets, and chinnies got more healty by eating these. But how do you know it's the best food for chinnies? You dont actually know. Like in the wild, they eat bugs and eggs, but are there any animal protein in their pellets?

What do we know about our chinnie diet? Not much!
I believe that what we do know is toxic to them, it would be best to keep them away from it just in case.

"Live your beliefs and you can turn the world around"- Henry David Thoreau
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-24-2007, 09:04 PM

does anyone ever let their chinny's have babyfood as a treat?? (a friend of mine lets hers have some that's sugar free or sometimes sugar free applesauce too) and i was just curious...i don't step until i test the water
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-25-2007, 08:47 AM

Arrow Baby Food For Chin's

I have never gave Dewy baby food but I do give him bites of apple and small pieces of apple wood that he LOVES!! I just think the real thing is better.