question about chinchilla coloring - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Chinchilla Discussion Twitching whiskers, fluffy tails, silky soft fur and all else chinchilla!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 12-28-2010, 04:19 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

question about chinchilla coloring

So I just had a baby chinchilla. I've done extensive research on the genetics of the possible colors and I'm still stumped.
dad is a black velvet
mom is either a standard or hetero ebony
the baby looks like a black velvet, but the top of his head is gray, not black, and the fluffy hair on his tail is white, not his whole tail, just the long hair on it. I thought it had to have a white parent for any white to be on it.

The baby shouldn't have any white on it right?
Does this make it a mosaic?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 12-29-2010, 04:28 AM
canis lupus familiaris

standard - white belly
hetero - mixed belly

Your baby sounds like a mosaic kinda.

If your sire is truly ebony then he will have white on him. If your dam is hetero ebony, she will have white on her.

Remember that you can have heterozygous parents (possessing a hidden trait) to bring out that gray as well. I was told that with wild rodents like this, you can mix all the domestics in the world and come right back to standard. What are the grandparents like?
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 12-29-2010, 03:10 PM
chinchilla breeder

A lot of standard babies have the long white hairs on the tips of their tails...your baby is not a white.

Black velvets have a black back and white belly
standards are grey with a white belly a
Ebonies have grey bellies.

chinchillas are not wild rodents and very few colors are carried. just violet and sapphire for the most part, If dad is a Black velvet and mom is a standard baby is a black velvet or standard

if dad is a black velvet and mom is an ebony baby can be standard, black velvet, ebony or TOV ebony.

without the black veiling he is likely a standard or ebony. Pictures would help. But it is common for standard kits to have white tips on the long gaurd hairs of the tail.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Kristy Morici
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
ABC CHINCHILLAS

Many high quality chinchillas Available..

Tags
baby, ebony, genetics, mosaic, velvet