question about chinchillas - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Chinchilla Discussion Twitching whiskers, fluffy tails, silky soft fur and all else chinchilla!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-01-2010, 07:11 PM Thread Starter

question about chinchillas

is it safe for chinchillas to have a hideout made out of a kleenex box?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-01-2010, 07:57 PM
Adolescent Pup

well they will probably chew it up in a night and they will eat some of it. the best hide is a good thick wood one you can buy at most pet stores. it will also help with the chins need to chew. my chin has had hers for 3 years now and she still sits in it and occasionally gnaws on it. make sure there are safe things for the chin to chew on...pummice stones (cube shaped from pet stores) ...safe wood toys...apple or other fruit tree sticks ( from pet stores or you can make them yourself BUT you have prepare it properly so it is safe. have fun

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-01-2010, 08:42 PM
I'm not weird, I'm gifted

Some say it's okay.
As long as there's no sharp edges or plastic, I guess you could use it.
Personally I'm not that happy about it. But it shouldn't hurt them...

/Pia

I apologized if my english is not correct
Owned by chinchillas since 1997
Breeding since 2005

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
<-- Check out my blog for Chinfo
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-02-2010, 10:24 AM
Newborn Pup

I wouldn't recommend it. Not because it's unsafe, as I've used kleenex boxes for my boys before, but rather because they'd destroy it really quickly. Also, if they eat the box, then that's cardboard in their stomach instead of some nice, healthy hay. It's probably much easier to just get a wooden hidey-hut or make one yourself.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-02-2010, 07:05 PM
chinchilla breeder

I have used kleenex boxes

Kristy Morici
ABC CHINCHILLAS

Many high quality chinchillas Available..

post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-03-2010, 03:48 PM Thread Starter

thanks

thanks for everyone that responded, after i posted that i actually thought about it and decided not to do that, i went and bought a wooden hut for her. and one of those fleece teacup beds and she loves them :] thank you!
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-03-2010, 03:51 PM Thread Starter

another question is elmers glue safe for them if i wanted to make him a house? i heard that popsicle sticks and elmers glue is ok for them, thank you everyone i just got her and i like being crafty and building things.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-03-2010, 06:59 PM
I'm not weird, I'm gifted

Use nails and some solid wood.
I would never use any type of glue no matter what others say is safe.

/Pia

I apologized if my english is not correct
Owned by chinchillas since 1997
Breeding since 2005

<-- Check out my blog for Chinfo
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-03-2010, 11:17 PM
Newborn Pup

If you're super crafty and have a power saw (I sure as heck don't XD), you could probably make a wooden hut by cutting notches out of the wood so they kind of slide together. It's called a dovetail joint if that means anything at all to you (I had to google it). That way, you don't have to worry about anything she can chew on that might be dangerous to her. Just make sure that _if_ you do this, make sure you don't use pressure treated wood, as the chemicals they use in treating it can be dangerous for animals.

Of course, don't make this if you don't feel comfortable using power tools, as I can imagine it would be rather dangerous for someone who isn't experienced in using them.

Tags
chinchilla