Question about chins - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Chinchilla Discussion Twitching whiskers, fluffy tails, silky soft fur and all else chinchilla!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-01-2003, 11:24 AM Thread Starter

Question Question about chins

Hi! as you can see I have several pigs. I've always been interested in chinchillas but never purchased one.
The reason why I never got one is because they look so hyper like they'll jump out of your hands and run fast around your house and be extremly hard to catch! Would this be a true assumption of their character?
I really love the light brown color ones, probably cost a lot more too!
Before I had 6 pigs- I was looking for an older chin that may be up for adoption. I only found young ones for sale. I thought maybe an old one would be more relaxed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-01-2003, 11:29 AM
Paw-Talk Lifer

I'd say that's a fair assessment of their character!

My chins are normally pretty hyper, but will allow me to hold them. They won't necessarily cuddle, but enjoy a good scratch in the right spots.

Elvis gets run time around my living room and dining room, with dangerous spots blocked off and a hawk eye trained on him. He's the only one who does though. He's 'trained' and will pay attention to me if I tell him no. He'll usually run the other way after shooting me 'the look.'

I let Geri out once and had to lay a raisin trap to catch her -- an hour later, I finally caught her.

But I'll tell you, I love my chins and I couldn't see NOT having them! I got Elvis as a kit, and as such he's trained. I got Geri as a kit, but she was so traumatized, she's a spaz. She'll come right out to me, but letting her down is a no-no. It all depends on the chin, really. I'd definitely go for a kit rather than an adult -- I think they bond more strongly to you!

Stephanie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-01-2003, 11:54 AM Thread Starter

Should you always have two same sexed to keep each other company? Guinea pigs do better with a friend.

Say you didn't let them run loose(I don't have a good place for that) How big would the cage have to be for a pair? , if they need to be paired -that is?
You can tell I no nothing about chins except they take dust bath's, lol.
When I lived in NJ we had a very large second kitchen , I used it as my animal room and had 4 ferrets. I'd let them run loose around the room, they had a ball!
That's what I need again, a room to let them run.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-01-2003, 12:01 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

My cages are 3 x 2 x 2 and 3 x 4 x 2 and each have two chins. I did fine having same sex pairs and they bonded very well. If you don't have time to spend an hour or more a day with them, I'd probably go with a same sex pair.

I have a wheel for Audi and Obi and they LOVE it. You can see it in the Exercise section on my site. I'm just very picky on my wheels -- they need to be 15" or so, and solid instead of wire, something other than plastic (they chew like there's no tomorrow!) and preferrably with no center bar for them to run underneath.

I have a lot of info on my site (some taken from Christi's old chin site) -- feel free to check it out or ask any other questions!

http://chinnitude.paw-talk.net

Stephanie

Tags
dust bath, guinea pig