Question about food - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Chinchilla Discussion Twitching whiskers, fluffy tails, silky soft fur and all else chinchilla!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-26-2004, 08:32 AM Thread Starter
Proud New Mommy

Question about food

I know chinchilla food should not have any treats or a high content of corn in it for the obvious part, but what else is 'bad' for chinchillas to eat? When I go to petsmart, I always tell people that have chinchillas NOT to get the cheapo pet store brands but all I can tell them is it's not healthy.

?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Live your beliefs and you can turn the world around"- Henry David Thoreau
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-26-2004, 09:03 AM
Kansas City Chinchillas

Often they have too many treats in them, or too much sugar.

Cathy
Kansas City Chinchillas

post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-26-2004, 12:20 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

My main problems with pet store foods are these:

1 - Treats. They usually have apples, raisins, bananas, etc. in them which we all know chinchillas will eat first and most. This can lead to liver damage and other problems.

2 - Freshness. You don't have any idea how long that food has been on the shelf, when it was milled, or how long it sat in the warehouse prior to being sent to the store. Nutrients in a food break down over time, so you don't know what your pet is really getting from the food.

3 - Preservatives. Most pet store foods use cheap chemical preservatives which have been questionably linked to illness. Why use them when they may be cumulatively toxic to your animal and you can get a much better food from another source?

Stephanie

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-26-2004, 02:02 PM Thread Starter
Proud New Mommy

Thanks Jade and ckane

post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-26-2004, 06:32 PM
Super Soaker Snot Ball Shooter

When I had my chins I sat down and figured out prices. The price of the pet shop food was not much cheaper per pound than what I paid for Mazuri to be shipped to my house. When I sold my chins I told the new owners to never use pet shop food for pretty much the same reasons Jade stated.

Rhonda

post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-27-2004, 05:51 PM Thread Starter
Proud New Mommy

We don't get Mazuri shipped to our house- we pick it up from the nearby feed store.. FREE SHIPPING!

post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-28-2004, 02:50 AM
Newborn Pup

why is corn bad? sorry . should i post my questions in a new part or is it okay to do this?
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-28-2004, 08:54 AM
Kansas City Chinchillas

Corn causes bloat (gas) in chins. Chins have no way of expelling gas and can die from it if they are not treated. Bloat is also called GI stasis.

Cathy
Kansas City Chinchillas

post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-29-2004, 12:51 AM
Newborn Pup

thanks alot. i have been trying lots of diffrent stuff for treats (well the stuff i have heard about being good for them and know for a fact that it would be okay) and i didnt know corn could do that . someone wrote its bad "for the obvoius reasons" and im learning so i had to ask because that was very vague and left alot unsaid . but you answered my question perfectly . i wish i knew how to rate your reply. if i did i would give you an A+
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-29-2004, 03:35 PM
Kansas City Chinchillas

Thanks Berthie.

Cathy
Kansas City Chinchillas

post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-30-2004, 08:06 AM Thread Starter
Proud New Mommy

lol, You can add to her reputation by clicking the little picture link right by the thread number on top of her posts.

Tags
pet shop, pet store