question about pest control spraying - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Chinchilla Discussion Twitching whiskers, fluffy tails, silky soft fur and all else chinchilla!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-08-2003, 02:23 PM Thread Starter

question about pest control spraying

Ok guys, I need some help here. We are having to move soon in addition to dealing with deployment. The house we are looking at and like has a monthly pest control service. Of course having my chins, this is a HUGE concern for me.

So, I called the exterminator this morning to ask some questions. The lady I spoke to said her main technician said that as long as the chins were in cages it would not hurt them. True??? Cause I have my doubts on that one.

She also said my other option would be to have only the exterior treated on a regular basis and have them treat the interior only if I had a problem. If we choose that option would it come into the house anyway?

Any experiences here would be great. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-08-2003, 02:50 PM

It really depends on what they are treating for..... it is is for (sorry) roaches they only spray the kitchen and bathrooms so the chins would be fine. just crak their window to allow ventilation for an hour or so
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-08-2003, 03:22 PM Thread Starter

Sassy...

they aren't spraying for anything particular. It is a routine spray thing for spiders, ants, other insects...

They said if spraying for rats/mice it is a whole different thing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-08-2003, 03:36 PM Thread Starter

Here is what I have found so far... I have called and harassed everyone I can think of.

The product used is called "suspend sc" the active ingredient is deltamethrin and is 4.75% from the company. It is supposed to be diluted more by the exterminator. The "head hancho" guy at the exterminator says it should not be a problem to spray the "outside" at all. Then if needed we could do the inside at the time it was needed.

So, I called Terminex. The main person there said that spraying the outside should be NO problem also. However, he said if he were to do the job he would not use a "spray" inside, but a powder or gel.

Then I called the company that makes the stuff and they transferred me to their poison control center. The lady there said they have no real studies for exotic animals, but she sees no harm in the outside spraying. When it comes to the inside spraying she recommended removing the animals from the premesis until it is dry. She also recommended contacting my vet. However, he won't call me back. UGH

Jade emailed her vet on my behalf. She did not know much about the product itself. So could not give any real advice, except that she would not let any exterminator into her apt.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-08-2003, 05:17 PM

I have always declined spraying for pests in my apartment. I used to have roaches in LA but I just put roach hotels in the kitchen.

I decided not to have spraying, because they tend to spray the baseboard areas of rooms that chins like to chew on.

I don't see the harm in spraying outside though.

Also, are you or your husband deploying? My husband George is at Ft. Bragg right now but will soon be on his way to the Middle East. He is a platoon leader for a chemical platoon. Good luck and god bless!

Patti
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-09-2003, 03:02 AM

As long as they dont do anything in your chin room and that can be shut off, or in the vent system I think you should be fine. I have one chinchilla that has seizures if she's exposed to any cleaning chemicals and since she's been here we've just kept all chemicals out of the bedroom where they are and she's been just fine.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-09-2003, 03:34 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the info.

I have asked the rental agency to ask the homeowner if we could just pass on the pest control issue. Or at the very least have the spraying done OUTSIDE only.

If not, we won't sign the lease, we will choose another house.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-09-2003, 06:37 PM

Good decision!
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-10-2003, 03:31 PM Thread Starter

cheshirechin ... i am sorry i did not respond totally to your reply. My spouse is in the army and is deploying.

Thanks Capn'... it was the best choice i think.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-10-2003, 05:21 PM

Good luck to your husband!

Patti

Tags
chin room, exotic animals