Questions about candles and other scents - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Chinchilla Discussion Twitching whiskers, fluffy tails, silky soft fur and all else chinchilla!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-30-2005, 09:26 PM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

Question

Is it ok to have these things in the same room as the chins? Is it harmful to them? For example glade plug-ins, or candles.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-30-2005, 10:38 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

I avoid them in the same room, but don't hesitate to use them in the rest of the house (no incense or really smoky candles). They aren't as sensitive as birds are, but they can be sensitive to strong smells and irritants.

Stephanie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-31-2005, 10:42 AM
Part of the Pack

at all cost avoid the raisin scented ones !

My wonderful loves:
Emma, Xavier, SweetPea, Mr. Pickles, Mary Beth, Sheldon,Zena,Cadbury,Kapuah,Walter,Lou,Chip, Dilbert, Cartman, Gessepi,Miranda, Henry & Riker (my chins)/ Bunny, Little Cat,Clarissa (cats) , Lucy & Grace (Dappled Doxies) Simon (GSD puppy), Cookie (Australian Shepherd puppy), Captain Jack (cockatiel)
Bella Chinchillas
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-31-2005, 03:04 PM
Playful Pup

LOL, good advice!

Animal Lover through and through!

Annie and Mishter Wittle!

I looked at all the caged animals in the shelter... the cast-offs of human society. I saw in their eyes love and hope, fear and dread, sadness and betrayal. And I was angry. "God," I said, "this is terrible! Why don't you do something?" God was silent for a moment, and then He spoke softly. "I have done something," He replied. "I created You."
~ Jim Willis, Author, Animal Rights Activist
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-02-2005, 04:34 PM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

LOL! I didn't even know they made raisin candles!
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-03-2005, 12:09 PM
Super Soaker Snot Ball Shooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenn
at all cost avoid the raisin scented ones !

Rhonda

post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-14-2005, 01:53 AM
Playful Pup

I saw a rum raisin candle the other night... and it did smell good enough to eat... it's a good thing I didn't buy it LOL!

~Heather~

Once A Cowboy... Always A Cowboy...

slowly one-by-one the chinchillas steal my sanity
And The Sugar Glider Helps Them!

"Thoes that have the ability to act, Have the Responsibility to act."
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-31-2005, 07:51 PM
Fluffy Gerbilshorts

I wouldn't use the glade plug ins at all...around any animal. I wouldn't think that a candle that didn't smoke too much would be okay in moderation. Seriously I'm not too sure, I never burned candles in the same room as my rodents (I had a room full of different kinds of animals...so I would just call it the rodent room...lol)
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-04-2006, 08:14 PM
Adolescent Pup

My chin nibbled on a christmas candle, now we put them all away at play time and we dont use any air freshners, mother in law says it smells like a barn :S lol

Lois Isabel

post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-04-2006, 09:40 PM
Fluffy Gerbilshorts

Also, if you trim the wick on your candle it won't smoke as much. I use air freshener in my room like once a day. 2 sprays of oust (quick sprays mind you) away from the cage. I have a male mouse, so he likes to get smelly.

Quote:
My chin nibbled on a christmas candle,..
My chin opened a chrismtas present for me one year. She had half the paper off before I could catch her.

*Missy*
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-07-2006, 08:45 PM
Playful Pup

Be really careful using anything scented around chinnies...their respiratory systems are really sensitive, so anything too strong can make their breathing labored.

Animal Lover through and through!

Annie and Mishter Wittle!

I looked at all the caged animals in the shelter... the cast-offs of human society. I saw in their eyes love and hope, fear and dread, sadness and betrayal. And I was angry. "God," I said, "this is terrible! Why don't you do something?" God was silent for a moment, and then He spoke softly. "I have done something," He replied. "I created You."
~ Jim Willis, Author, Animal Rights Activist