questions about having 2 chins? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Chinchilla Discussion Twitching whiskers, fluffy tails, silky soft fur and all else chinchilla!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-05-2006, 04:44 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

questions about having 2 chins?

Well, someone I know knows someone who is giving up his chin. I am hopefully going to be his new mommy! I am super excited to get another chin for my Hailey to play with. I know you need to keep them in seperate cages at first, and was wondering when a safe amount of time would be to start to introduce them to one another? Or what the whole proceedure is for eventually placing 2 chins together?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-06-2006, 01:14 PM
Adolescent Pup

First, same sex pairs are ideal otherwise you get babies. Generally, introducing a younger chin to an older one works best, but I have done it vice versa.

Quarantine can last 2-4 weeks. After, there are techniques where you place two cages side by side.. swap chins with each others cage every so often.. in order to get them use to each others scent. Next is introduction in a neutral territory. It really depends on the chin whether they will accept a buddy or not. And it can take time!

Here are some helpful links:

http://www.erodent.co.uk/Introducing...GuineaPigs.htm
http://www.geocities.com/amandaschins/pairs.html
http://chinchillacymru.co.uk/chinintro.htm
http://www.huggablepets.com/huggable...ingchins.shtml

I know other chin people here can offer more advice. Searching the internet for "Introducing chinchillas" gives you lots of info too. Good luck!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
NaTaLiE
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Setsuki (std) Coolio (bv) Butters (pw) & Diamond (sap) the chinchillas
Mortimer the cat
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-07-2006, 10:26 AM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

Thanks. We will hopefully find out today if we did or did not get lucky enough to get Burrito into our family!!! I will keep you posted!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-17-2006, 07:37 PM
Movin' Up in the Pack

so updates??? did you get him??? heres hopeing that you did.

why breed or buy when shelter animals die

home to:
1 dog a pit bull named Troy and a border collie/golden retrever/boxer mix named Amber

and 7 cats (Butterfly, Furchol, Carmel, Nova, Hope, Shaddy& Christian)

3 rats Flora, Fauna, & Merryweather

Tags
seperate cages