Rawhide? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Chinchilla Discussion Twitching whiskers, fluffy tails, silky soft fur and all else chinchilla!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-09-2003, 01:44 AM Thread Starter

Question Rawhide?

I am about to buy the chins all new toys! I got a price list from Chinstogo, have you guys checked them out?! They've got great prices and I've heard nothing but good about them. The toys I want come with small rawhide pieces on them but they will make them without if I want, my initial feeling was that rawhide would probably not be real good for the chins, but apparently alot of people get them with the rawhide. What do you guys think? I can post the pricelist too if anyone is interested, the prices are really good!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-09-2003, 09:46 AM

Becki,

I have heard wonderful things about ChinsToGo. Do they have a catalogue?

As for the rawhide, I have been giving my chins toys with rawhide on them for a very long time and have never had complications. I recently bought awesome toys from Pamela Oldham (Chincolores) and her toys can be made with or without rawhide. Many people had concerns with her toys having rawhide but as she said (and I do agree with her) chins gnaw on it and don't ingest it like dogs do. Of course if you feel better knowing the toys don't have rawhide on them, by all means order them without.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-09-2003, 12:07 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

I personally won't use it, for a couple reasons. A few of my chins do indeed eat their toys and with my luck, they'd eat it and get a blockage. Also, they're herbivores and rawhide certainly isn't in a herbivore's diet. And, if they gnaw on it enough, I can just see it getting sticky and making their fur all sticky too. Just me, I don't bother with it. I'm enough of a worry wart already - no sense adding another worry.

Stephanie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-09-2003, 02:50 PM Thread Starter

Ok, thanks guys! I think I'll go without just for my peace of mind, my chinnies are destroyers, lol.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-12-2003, 01:56 AM

I agree with Jade especially the sticky part-yeck!. I have heard that raw hide has pesticides used on it to keep it bug free. A vet told me that years ago so I won't even let my dogs have it.