Researching Chin Concerns - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Chinchilla Discussion Twitching whiskers, fluffy tails, silky soft fur and all else chinchilla!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-25-2008, 09:48 AM Thread Starter

Researching Chin Concerns

I have (what I think is...) a standard grey chinchilla that was originally part of a small family of chins that I got from a college student who raised chinchillas, but was having trouble keeping them because of time during her vet training. Smokey has become a class/personal pet for me as I am a school teacher.

The main reason that I am writing has to do with a few concerns that I have about him. I have had him about 1.5 years and he has always been a pretty good eater, but lately he hasn't eaten much and seems to be peeing in his bowl on a nightly basis now for about 3-4 weeks. He eats the treats out of his bowl, but is not really eating his main pellets. I also noticed a kind of abscess on his tummy (like a little bubble). It doesn't seem to be sore or red around the area and it does not inhibit him from activity. He runs in his wheel like a maniac at night. I have not noticed any problems with his teeth, but I have noticed a slight increase in height, in his fur, just below his eyes (on his nose). He has a vitamin chew that is hard and he seems to be chewing on it still. His coat is a little less puffy than it used to be, but his eyes seem to be clear and attentive. He does not seem to be in pain and is very friendly, as he has always been. I am wondering if I am being paranoid or I should be rightly concerned. I have not found a vet in the area, but am currently looking into it...

Any suggestions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-25-2008, 05:12 PM

I would get him to a vet ASAP! try not putting treats mixed with his pellets, I've done that and they will eat the treats and not touch the pellets, give the treats by hand instead, But I would most def look into a vet, let me know how u make out
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-25-2008, 11:06 PM
Adolescent Pup

you really need to get him to a vet ASAP any abscess any where is not good and can get really nasty really fast.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Kyo &
Krypto
1 poodle - Kitty
1 Mini Dachshund - Ivy

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-26-2008, 07:36 PM

Vet is highly recommended!

Tags
standard grey