Roo has soft poo..... - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Chinchilla Discussion Twitching whiskers, fluffy tails, silky soft fur and all else chinchilla!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-04-2004, 08:55 AM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Therapist

Roo has soft poo.....

I believe it's Roo that is showing signs of soft poo in the cage. We weighed both Roo and Roxie last night, and in 5 days Roxie has only gained 4g (but she's gained) where Roo has lost 14g (which we know can happen). Roo doesn't seem to be adjusting to the change so well, we haven't really done anything different, used the breeders pellets and began switching over gradually, left them alone for a few days, and last night they got a bath. I started to give both Roo and Roxie mini shredded wheat last night to help with the soft poo, but neither will take to it. With limited resources here on things we can get to help Roo or both of their tummies, what might you all suggest. I don't like seeing a chinnie with soft poo especially one that is showing signs of slight loss in weight.
I know back in the states I could easily go to a store and the get the items needed to help one or both along, but here it's difficult.
Any suggestions would be great as I've been away from having chinnies for a little while until we got the one's we have now.
Thanks

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

MCBA Member

Submit your info today

I Sell Chinchilla Supplies!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-04-2004, 01:37 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

I'd stop pellets for a day or so, just give them LOTS of hay. Make sure he's drinking plenty of water. If he doesn't improve, I'd call your vet and see if he'll do a fecal to look for giardia/coccidia.

Fingers crossed that it's just an upset tummy, Kim.

Stephanie

post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-04-2004, 01:43 PM
Irregular and Proud!

A little toast or a bit of bagel might do the same thing and might be more appealing. Maybe even a Cheerio.

The other question is how bad is it? Is it pellets that have a shape but are so soft that they get crushed by little feet or stick to the cage wire? Is there mucus? Or is it so bad that you can shake her up and aim her at someone you don't like.

In the event of the first one, this happens about once or twice a year to Max. It usually goes away after 3-5 days. I think it might be change of season or extra stress. I give the bottles an extreme wash, cut back on treats, and give plenty of hay, and it usually clears up. And some chins are more prone to this than others. Some have sensitive tummies I guess.

The other two, I'd try to get a fecal flow test. Honestly, I had one done once when there was mucus, and there was nothing unusual, but it gave me piece of mind.

I don't know what to say about the weight loss. Except for Maureen, my chins are hungry, hungry hippos.

Good luck. Hopefully things will clear up.

Patti

Back in NC again! (Army wife and proud!)
Chinnies: Maureen, Max, and Muad'Dib
Cats: Daphne (who says, I only play with mousie toys with a string tail and a bell.)
And introducing: Tasselhof and Kittira (Hubbie's childhood cats, who are 10 and 9 repectively)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-04-2004, 01:45 PM
Irregular and Proud!

Jade is right, you probably should cut back on pellets all together. Unfortunately, I can't do that with Max unless I isolate him.

Patti

Back in NC again! (Army wife and proud!)
Chinnies: Maureen, Max, and Muad'Dib
Cats: Daphne (who says, I only play with mousie toys with a string tail and a bell.)
And introducing: Tasselhof and Kittira (Hubbie's childhood cats, who are 10 and 9 repectively)
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-04-2004, 02:51 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Therapist

The poo is shaped but soft, so when they step it smears, ewww.... Thank goodness it isn't to the point where I can aim her at somebody I don't like
She is caged with Roxie so I can stop the pellets for a day....They are both drinking plenty of water that is for sure, so no concerns there.
I will do the suggestions above the best I can, and see how it goes for 24 hours w/out pellets starting tonight.
Thanks

MCBA Member

Submit your info today

post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-04-2004, 10:17 PM
Tongue Tied..Literally!

Kim, I hope Roo feels better and gets his poos back to normal. When you are a chinnie owner poos are our main concern.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-04-2004, 10:44 PM
Tiny Grosskisser

I agree with everyone else.

Take away the pellets and have them strictly on hay and water for a day. No treats as well.

If it is still soft, I'd definitely take the chins to the vet.

When Scooter had soft stool, the first vet said to fast her for a day. I felt horrible doing it, but the stool returned to normal. The second time around with the soft stool, the vet gave her some medication. They did a fecal float and found no bacteria, so that was good.

Here's hoping Roo gets better!

Karen

[

post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-05-2004, 02:21 AM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Therapist

Roo and Roxie took to the shredded wheat finally, so I am hoping that along with no pellets, plenty of hay, and water will set both girls on the right track with their tummies again.
Yes Denise poo is our business when your a chinnie owner
The good news is their isn't just soft poo in the cage, it is a mixture so hopefully it will setlle soon, if not I'll have to take a fecal over to our local vet and see if she can do a test for me.

MCBA Member

Submit your info today

Tags
shredded wheat