Rust on wire cages.... - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Chinchilla Discussion Twitching whiskers, fluffy tails, silky soft fur and all else chinchilla!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-20-2004, 10:11 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

Question Rust on wire cages....

What is the best way to clean/prevent rust on a wire cage? People have told me to line the corner that is used for the potty with newspaper, but that doesn't really seem to help. Also, for rust beginning to form or already there (mine doesnt have that yet) I know scrubbing it with a wire brush would be the best way to remove it, but what about keeping it from coming back??

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-21-2004, 09:35 AM
Proud New Mommy

Hmm... I'm not sure. If it's not an old cage, you may just want to keep it scrubbed so the rust doesn't even have time to show.

Do you have a metal or plastic pan?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Live your beliefs and you can turn the world around"- Henry David Thoreau
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-21-2004, 12:28 PM
Paw-Talk Therapist

As long as you keep it scrubbed and clean you shouldn't have any problems with rust. When we scrub out our cage we use a vinegar and water solution, however we have a plastic bottom so we don't have to worry about rust on that, and all but 2 shelves in the cage are wood. But like Rocheal and I have both mentioned, keep it scrubbed and you shouldn't develop a problem. Also if your chins use one specific corner you can also think about buying a corner litter pan that is used in ferret cages.

MCBA Member

Submit your info today

I Sell Chinchilla Supplies!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-21-2004, 05:46 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

Red face

The pan in the cage is plastic, Rocheal.

I think I am gonna look into a corner litter pan, because this chinchilla drinks and pees like it's going out of style. I swear. He usually sticks to one corner, although he will randomly pee in other corners as well. I either need to scrub the cage more than once a week or get a litter pan, because I don't want the wire to get messed up. I'm trying to think of ways to prevent rust, so I'll check out litter pans at petsmart this week hopefully. Thanks guys.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-23-2004, 01:05 PM
Part of the Pack

I have one cage with a plastic tray and it makes for easy clean up. AND beleive it or not no one has taken to chewing it up yet either.

My wonderful loves:
Emma, Xavier, SweetPea, Mr. Pickles, Mary Beth, Sheldon,Zena,Cadbury,Kapuah,Walter,Lou,Chip, Dilbert, Cartman, Gessepi,Miranda, Henry & Riker (my chins)/ Bunny, Little Cat,Clarissa (cats) , Lucy & Grace (Dappled Doxies) Simon (GSD puppy), Cookie (Australian Shepherd puppy), Captain Jack (cockatiel)
Bella Chinchillas

Tags
litter pan, wire cage