Scented Bath Dust?! - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Chinchilla Discussion Twitching whiskers, fluffy tails, silky soft fur and all else chinchilla!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-06-2005, 06:52 PM Thread Starter
Proud New Mommy

Scented Bath Dust?!

At PetCo, we are finally starting to carry some chinchilla products. Very few of which I am happy with. (Our chinchilla product sales won't be very high.. Oh well!) As I was meandering through the store after my long vacation in Florida, I noticed our end cap had chinchilla supplies on it. Two of which were scented bath dusts. Here is the cucumber melon and here is the raspberry
The ingredients are: Finely powdered volcanic ash, natural oil absorbers, fragrance.

I was wondering what anyone thought of this. I personally use blue cloud... Would this stuff be ok to add in as a fun scent to blue cloud or would it split the fur?? I havn't touched it to see how fine it actually is.

Just wondering.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Live your beliefs and you can turn the world around"- Henry David Thoreau
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-06-2005, 06:54 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

Personally, I wouldn't touch it. What's the point in adding fragrance and what are natural oil absorbers? Shouldn't the dust do that? Sounds like more unneeded chemicals to me.

Stephanie

post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-06-2005, 07:22 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jade
Personally, I wouldn't touch it. What's the point in adding fragrance and what are natural oil absorbers? Shouldn't the dust do that? Sounds like more unneeded chemicals to me.
I agree with Steph! Although I dont have chinchillas, I do have degus that love to have sandbaths, and I would not use any scented dust for them...

Steph ~ Owned by 4 bunnies and 5 degus..

"The love for all living creatures is the most noble
attribute of man." Charles Darwin

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-06-2005, 08:44 PM
Tiny Grosskisser

Ah yes....the scented dust bath again.

Personally, I think it's a very stupid product out on the market. Why add a scent to an animal that doesn't have a smell anyways? I mean, are the chinchillas going to go on a hot date that they need to smell like raspberries?

I've seen it and just laughed. I'll just stick with blue sparkle and/or blue cloud! (If I can find blue cloud nearby!)

Karen

[

post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-06-2005, 09:33 PM

It's not like they like to be sniffed by their owners all the time either. Well there might be some weird chins out there but....

However if I could get my dogs to roll in scented dust baths then I might reconsider the product.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-06-2005, 10:53 PM Thread Starter
Proud New Mommy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dena
However if I could get my dogs to roll in scented dust baths then I might reconsider the product.
Maybe we should call those invent network people!!

"Live your beliefs and you can turn the world around"- Henry David Thoreau
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-07-2005, 05:54 AM
Irregular and Proud!

Over the years, I've found that even adding an antifungal powder to the dust bath can cause eye irritations in chins who are prone to it (Max is occasionally knicknamed "Blinky the Wonderchin" for a good reason). I would think that scent would cause even more problems.

However, about 6 years ago, I took some of my chin dust and put it in a glass for a cheap incense burner. I burned a bunch of sandlewood incense in it and considered adding it back into the bath, but then I move and pitched it out.

Overall, I say scented dust bath is neither needed or a good idea.

Patti

Back in NC again! (Army wife and proud!)
Chinnies: Maureen, Max, and Muad'Dib
Cats: Daphne (who says, I only play with mousie toys with a string tail and a bell.)
And introducing: Tasselhof and Kittira (Hubbie's childhood cats, who are 10 and 9 repectively)
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-07-2005, 01:36 PM
Adolescent Pup

I've seen these in stores, and my husband and I just had to laugh at the idea. My babies are sensitive to so many things, that I'd be afraid of this stuff irritating them. As it is, I don't like the idea of scented dust for them - just makes me uncomfortable.

I'll stick with my Blue Cloud and Blue Sparkle (almost out of the Sparkle... yay!)

Chinmom to :
Trinity (standard grey), Trillian (hetero beige), Tequila (mosaic),
Speedy (hetero beige) and Batman (standard grey)

Tags
dust bath, dust baths