Scoots.... - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Chinchilla Discussion Twitching whiskers, fluffy tails, silky soft fur and all else chinchilla!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-20-2005, 09:58 PM Thread Starter
Tiny Grosskisser

Unhappy Scoots....

So, this post may be a little long. I apologize.

Today when I was giving the chins fresh pellets and hay, I heard one of the babies squawking. I was talking to them calmly, trying to get them to calm down themselves. So, that didn't work.

I looked to see who it was and it was Scoots. I tried to get her off the wood castle she was on, and she started barking at me and chattering her teeth. I knew instantly she was angry and left her be.

So, Dan came to work to get me and we ran a few errands. We came home and sat around and such. I took a bath. Well, Dan went to bed and then proceeded to tell me that I should take the wood castle out, because they were squishing up there and that he'd put a hole in the top so they could easily get in and out. I had to get them off there somehow (the babies), so I put the dust bath in there. Well, they fell for it, and I took the castle out. I looked at it and saw a little red on there. Thought it could have been urine that may have stained the wood a little.

I then looked at Scoots' tail and saw red. I felt horrible for putting the dust in there and am hoping it doesn't become infected. I looked more and I don't know if someone bit her, or if it was hurt on the castle.

Either way, she's going to the vet tomorrow to have it looked at.

Does anyone have opinions on this? Do you think she'll be ok??

Karen

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

[
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-20-2005, 10:08 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

Clean it off with a bunch of soapy water to get the dust out in the meantime. A kitchen sprayer works well, otherwise just stick her tail under the running water.

As long as you get it cleaned out and get her on antibiotics and the wound isn't too deep, I'd imagine she'll be fine.

Stephanie

post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-20-2005, 10:24 PM Thread Starter
Tiny Grosskisser

Well, this is what I did. Dang Scoots is a hard one to catch in the cage.

I grabbed some paper towel and soaked it with some water. I grabbed her (thankfully she was in the wheel at the time, so it wasn't incredibly difficult to grab her) and proceed to wipe off the base of the tail, where it was worse. It didn't look nearly as bad as when I first saw it, but I'm still taking her in tomorrow. I don't think she was bleeding a lot, because it looked to have been dried already.

I'm so frustrated right now. I just wish I could go one month without someone going to the vet!

I think I have the worst luck with pets.

Karen

[

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-20-2005, 10:33 PM
Angel to Abandoned Puppies

Since you cleaned her up i'm sure she'll be ok. Just let us know how it goes.

HUGS

MCBA Member

I've Been Frosted
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-20-2005, 10:35 PM Thread Starter
Tiny Grosskisser

Thanks Chrisanne. I'll be sure to let everyone know how it goes.

I love her to pieces. From the minute I laid eyes on her (well, after the initial shock of finding out my girl Dusty had a baby!), I was in love. She has such gorgeous markings and I cannot wait to see what she looks like when she's full grown!

Karen

[

post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-20-2005, 10:36 PM Thread Starter
Tiny Grosskisser

Forgot to mention:

Steph, I don't believe the wound is deep. To me it looks like she may have caught it on something and/or rubbed it on something the wrong way.

We'll find out tomorrow for sure though.

Karen

[

post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-21-2005, 01:31 AM
Paw-Talk Lifer

Keep us informed, I hope she is ok?

Steph ~ Owned by 4 bunnies and 5 degus..

"The love for all living creatures is the most noble
attribute of man." Charles Darwin

post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-21-2005, 05:01 AM
Adolescent Pup

I know how it feels to find blood in the cage and realise that something has happened to one of your animals, I pretty much faint at the sight of one of my animals injured and no matter how small the wound it always seems life threatening to me the first time i look at it, im a spaz i know . Im glad your taking her to the vet just in case, i wish that more people would be as responsible a pet owner.
By the way i think that Scoots is very lucky to have such a caring mom . You are a true animal lover and it shows
Could you post a pic of scoots? I dont think i have seen one yet? Anyways best of luck to both of you !!

Lois Isabel

post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-21-2005, 06:51 AM
Paw-Talk Golden Member

I hope Scoots is ok.
It is awful when one of your animals get hurt and you have to take them to the vet.
Hopefully it will just be a check up and wont need any injections or anything.

My handsome Prince

Swirly, Squashy, Squishy, Spot, Star, Slash and Rocky

Indy and Myfanwy

Tilly, Emil, Sonny and Smudge
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-21-2005, 07:47 AM Thread Starter
Tiny Grosskisser

Well...I think I found the cause of Scoots' injuries.

Buttons, one of the other female chinchillas presently in the cage (sister to Dusty, Scoots' mama).

When I was feeding everyone this morning I noticed that Scoots was again acting weird. Barking at me, chattering her teeth, etc. I then noticed Buttons going up there and saw her chase Scoots off the top of the house. Buttons then proceeded to chase her around the cage, and not in a playing manner. Twice I had to break it up. I'm almost afraid I'm going to have to separate Scoots from the cage and maybe try putting her in with Charlie once Charlie's kits are weaned.

I hope it doesn't come to that, but I can't risk further injury. This really stinks.

Man, was there a full moon last night that all my pets are acting weird?

Karen

[

post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-21-2005, 07:50 AM Thread Starter
Tiny Grosskisser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phawn
Could you post a pic of scoots? I dont think i have seen one yet? Anyways best of luck to both of you !!
I don't have actual pictures posted on here, but I have links to them. They're not recent, these are when she was still very young.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v4...tuff/baby9.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v4...tuff/baby8.jpg

I have to take more recent pictures of the babies. I'll do it when everyone's fur looks better and Scoots isn't looking so injured.

Karen

[

post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-21-2005, 11:30 AM Thread Starter
Tiny Grosskisser

So, here's an update.

Took her to the vet today. I asked if I could simply drop her off and have them look at her, and the vet tech asked what was wrong. I told her what happened, and she took her in back and I saw her with Dr. Marold looking at her. They shaved at the base of the tail and she came back out. She said it was scraped and that to clean it off, put neosporin on it twice a day and to obviously take her away from who did it.

So.....Licorice's new cage is now Scoots' new cage. You could see the marks where she was hurt, and it wasn't obviously deep, because if it was they would have given me medicine for her.

The other three babies that are in the cage are coming out VERY soon after this incident. I was going to try and put Charlie in with Buttons and Dusty, but after this, I'm going to try and put her in with Scoots.

Karen

[

post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-21-2005, 06:12 PM
Paw-Talk Therapist

I am so glad she is okay!

Owned by 26 chins, 7 cats, 2 dogs, and 7 aquariums

Come drop by!

post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-21-2005, 06:57 PM
Misses Her Smilie Titles

I'm so glad she's okay. You'll figure out the best thing to do with who goes with whom, you always seem to do the right thing.
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-21-2005, 07:50 PM Thread Starter
Tiny Grosskisser

Unhappy More bad news....

Quote:
Originally Posted by lixx
I am so glad she is okay!
I thought she was ok, too.

Until Dan and I took her out to give her the neosporin for her tail.

Was feeling her and felt something crusty on her back. Lifted up the fur and Buttons also got to her back.

I don't know if the vets even NOTICED it! I want to take her in immediately tomorrow to be checked out. To me it didn't look deep, but right now I'm freaking out. She seems to be doing fine, and we put her mama in there with her (both seemed so depressed before), but I'm so incredibly worried about her.

I would love to take her to an emergency vet, but the one where we use to go, well, they're a bunch of and Elmbrook suggest a place that doesn't have anyone on call for chins.

Karen

[

Tags
animal lover, doing fine, dust bath, emergency vet, pet owner, vet tech