Should the chinchilla be in a dark, quiet room during the day? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Chinchilla Discussion Twitching whiskers, fluffy tails, silky soft fur and all else chinchilla!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-12-2008, 02:00 AM Thread Starter

Should the chinchilla be in a dark, quiet room during the day?

I recently had to bring my Chinchilla to my parent's house because of my roomate's cat, and because she makes insane ammounts of noise at night, when I need sleep to maintain my very busy schedule.

I'm a little concerned, because they have her in the living room. The living room at their house has about 9 10x10 foot windows that allow ambient light to enter the room. It's not exactly my idea of a cozy living place for a chinchilla to sleep during the day. There is no direct sunlight on the chinchilla, but the house is on a hill so there is a great deal of light reflecting off the ground into the living room.

Should the Chinchilla's cage be covered with a blanket during the day? Should I watch for things in it's behavior that might indicate that it isn't enjoying it's new setting?

So far the Chinchilla has been just as bubbly as ever living there, but I'm concerned that she won't get any sleep.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-12-2008, 08:43 AM
I'm not weird, I'm gifted

As long as the chinnie has a place in the cage where it can get away from the light, it's no problem.

Noise is not such a big problem as some peole make it into.
Mine is in my bedroom/livingroom, and I have the tv, listen to music, talk to people and so on. (I listen to heavy metal btw )
And they don't mind at all. As long as you can hear your self thing, no problemo

/Pia

I apologized if my english is not correct
Owned by chinchillas since 1997
Breeding since 2005

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
<-- Check out my blog for Chinfo
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-12-2008, 11:35 AM
Movin' Up in the Pack

Make sure the sunlight doesn't directly hit the cage as it can cause overheating, especially if the chinchilla doesn't have a house it can run into. I thinks its important that the chinchilla has a bit of quite during the day. Imagine it being the middle of the night, trying to sleep and having tons of noise. You could tolerate it, but it would get annoying.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-12-2008, 04:24 PM
I'm not weird, I'm gifted

Where they come from, other animals are awake in the day.

As long as you do not run around screaming, turn your tv or music up very loud, it really isen't that big of a problem.

It's a problem if they are in a childs bedroom, and the chils runs around yelling or stuff like that.

But in a normal living room, it's no problem...!

/Pia

I apologized if my english is not correct
Owned by chinchillas since 1997
Breeding since 2005

<-- Check out my blog for Chinfo