Should i get my chinchilla a friend? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Chinchilla Discussion Twitching whiskers, fluffy tails, silky soft fur and all else chinchilla!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 12-21-2009, 01:19 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

Should i get my chinchilla a friend?

Ive had my chinchilla for about 5 years possibly 6 ( i know im bad for not remembering)
her name is Chloe, and im ingrade 11 right now
shes perky and funny, although i know i dont let her out enough
she has a hugeee cage, and tons of toys n stuff
i do let her out about 3-4 times a week ,
bu tsince im in grade 11 after grade 12 illl be going away for university and my parents will be looking after her,
my mom LOVEs her but still i think she would prefer a friend to play with .. or not?
i cant decide if she would get jelous or mad or happy:S
im obviously thinking of another girl chinchilla.. bu twould this be a bad or good decision?
the cage is big enough for both but idk if i should get her a friend or not.
also since she is already 5 is it a totally bad decision since shes had 5 years used with us?
also would the age of the new chinchilla be a matter? i was thiking or an older one ( not too old bu tnot a newborn)
any help would be very appreciated
thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 12-22-2009, 10:23 AM
Adolescent Pup

In your other post you said chloe was sick so I definitely would get that taken care of first. Then research chinchilla bonding for a long time. It is hard work.
Also, if you are going away to college soon discuss it with your parents. Are they going to want to dedicate the time to cleaning the cage weekly or getting them out to run daily? That is something you have to find out if they want to deal with before you bring another one into the picture.
A couple tips if you still decide to get one:

Keep the new one quarantined for a whole month. Separate room. Wash your hands between touching them. This is to make sure there are no underlying health problems.

Get a younger rather than an older one. They will be easier to bond.

Know that you will have to have two cages for a while because you CANNOT just throw them in the cage together and expect them to get along. It's unlikely to be that easy. They may never get along for that matter. Thats the situation I have, but many others have been successful bonding them.

Take into consideration you will then have two vet bills to consider in the future.

Let us know what you decide.

Last edited by alfie; 12-22-2009 at 10:27 AM.

Tags
two chinchillas