Sick chin - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Chinchilla Discussion Twitching whiskers, fluffy tails, silky soft fur and all else chinchilla!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 37 (permalink) Old 03-04-2002, 11:33 PM Thread Starter
Resident Chatroom Blonde

Sick chin

I was in my animal room today and noticed that Grendel was just laying around not moving much.I was back in there this evening and he was still not moving much.He usually greets me for his raisin.I let them out for their run time .I had to pick him up and set him out of the cage.He run a few feet and just hide behind a bucket.I cuddled hime and checked him out thoroughly.Eyes are clear no runny nose poos are fine he just has no energy.Hubby said to take him to vet in the morning.I am scared not sure how to tell if the vet is good enough for my little guy.She has one of her own and has been good with other pets I have took to her.WE have used her when we had horses and I took my first cat to her to nueter and she was very good with them.Any suggestion would be greatfully appreciated.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 37 (permalink) Old 03-04-2002, 11:50 PM
Brownie

Did you check his poops????

post #3 of 37 (permalink) Old 03-04-2002, 11:59 PM Thread Starter
Resident Chatroom Blonde

Yes his poos are fine he pooed in my hand when I was holding him

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 37 (permalink) Old 03-05-2002, 12:02 AM Thread Starter
Resident Chatroom Blonde

Her office opens at 7:30 am.I will take him first thing to see what could be wrong.I checked him all over and couldn't find any cuts lumps or anything but it is not normal for him not to eat his raisin

post #5 of 37 (permalink) Old 03-05-2002, 01:19 AM

Is he eating his pellets and hay? Drinking ok?
Chinnies hide thier symptoms pretty well,
I agree with CT get him to the vet ASAP, and let us know how he is.
post #6 of 37 (permalink) Old 03-05-2002, 11:39 AM
Proud New Mommy

sorry to hear about that...im sure grendel will be ok as long as she gets her mommy helpin her out!! my thoughts are with you

"Live your beliefs and you can turn the world around"- Henry David Thoreau
post #7 of 37 (permalink) Old 03-05-2002, 11:58 AM

How is Grendel this morning?
post #8 of 37 (permalink) Old 03-05-2002, 02:33 PM Thread Starter
Resident Chatroom Blonde

I got an appoinment for 9:45 this morning.Vet was running an hour late.She said he was congested.She gave me baytril and then gave him a shot.I just don't understand it an hour later and Grendel is dead and I don't know what to do.I am so upset,My heart feels like it has been ripped out I loved him so much.

post #9 of 37 (permalink) Old 03-05-2002, 02:38 PM

OMG! I am so sorry Runt I know Grendel meant alot to you. My thoughts go out to you.

Last edited by Sassy; 03-05-2002 at 02:41 PM.
post #10 of 37 (permalink) Old 03-05-2002, 02:39 PM
ILoveUglyMen

my deepest sympathies

post #11 of 37 (permalink) Old 03-05-2002, 02:42 PM
Member formerly known as MistyLea21

I heard a story just like this not long ago... the exact same behaviour and lack of symptoms. The chins blood sugar was low, basically he had a form of diabetes. If THAT chin had gotten some sugar in his system, he'd probably lived. I'm so sorry about your loss! Sounds just kinda like a freak accident.

Misty

Silver Mist Studios

Custom Designer Jewelry, Handmade Lampwork Glass Beads and More!

Eyes Of Texas Chinchillas

post #12 of 37 (permalink) Old 03-05-2002, 02:50 PM Thread Starter
Resident Chatroom Blonde

I had to make to stops and started for home I decided to check on him again and he was listless.I rushed him back to the vet but she was gone till 5:00 but her helper confirmed he was dead and asked what was going on I said she gave him a shot and an hour later he is gone.The other girl snapped well HE WAS REALLY SICK.Then they asked if I wanted them to dipose of his body and I told them no I will take him home and bury him.I didn't realize how much it would hurt losing one and it is like losing a family member.

post #13 of 37 (permalink) Old 03-05-2002, 02:54 PM

The vet tech snapped at you... What was she thinking?
What was the shot? Was it Baytril? I will not give my chins Baytril, Baytril can be easily overdosed.
post #14 of 37 (permalink) Old 03-05-2002, 02:57 PM Thread Starter
Resident Chatroom Blonde

Yes she said she thought it was baytril and that it was safest drug for them .I think the vet may have overdosed him.I can't prove it but something happened.

post #15 of 37 (permalink) Old 03-05-2002, 04:04 PM
Proud New Mommy

Runt- i am so sorry i could only imagine...

i hope you feel better

"Live your beliefs and you can turn the world around"- Henry David Thoreau

Tags
vet tech