Sick Chinchilla - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Chinchilla Discussion Twitching whiskers, fluffy tails, silky soft fur and all else chinchilla!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-27-2002, 06:29 PM Thread Starter
Fertile Myrtle

Sick Chinchilla

I got this in my email - decided to post it here and give her the link. Please give your suggestions, especially if you've dealt with it before:

Hello, I am writing with a question about my chinchilla. I have had him for six months now and since then, he has been on the same diet. For the last couple days, he has been extra mello. Also, his droppings have been both abnormally small and lined with mucus. I don't know whether to treat this as slimy droppings or constipation. The pet store said to try extra raisins and/burnt toast. Also, I haven't actually seen him drink for the past couple days. He will take tiny sips if I try to directly give him the water. I use filtered water with no added supplements. Do you have any suggestions?

Wife to an amazing man,
mom to three wonderful kids (9, 5.10, 4),
2 dogs, 3 hermit crabs and 2 bettas

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-27-2002, 06:44 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

Yikes, sounds like Giardia. If it were me, I would make an immediate vet appt. for a full check up, including a fecal smear/flotation. In the meantime, I would try the burnt toast or even some rice baby cereal sprinkled over his pellets. I would increase the hay as well (after checking to make sure it isn't moldy). The latter two will get more fiber into him and hopefully increase the dropping size.

I would also give him some Pedialyte by dropper/syringe to ward off potential dehydration. She may also want to ask the vet for an injection of subcutaneous fluids. (Elvis' dosage was 30 - 35 CCs)

You can lift the skin (just gently grab the fur and lift) and check and see if he is dehydrated. If it snaps immediately back into place, it isn't critical. If it takes longer than immediate, I'd definitely get a subcu injection of Lactated Ringer's.

Again, get him to a vet. They're SO good at hiding infection until the last possible moment ...

Stephanie

post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-27-2002, 06:47 PM

I am with Jade on this one. Get him to the vet asap.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-27-2002, 08:12 PM
mundjl

Unhappy

Thank you for the replies on my chinchilla, Squeeker.
I have brought him to a vet and they ruled out Giardia along with all other bacterial diseases. His eyes are still shiny, his coat is in good condition, and he does not have a runny nose or chin.
I will definitely try the pedialyte along with a new vet this week but I was just wondering if you had any other guesses?
Also, he keeps rubbing his face on the carpet, platform... anything really. We've been giving him fresh sand to bath in.
The pet store did not have the correct kind of hay for a few days this week so he didn't really get much hay but now that we have some more he's eating it up so I don't know if that is it.
He's hardly pooping at all, even after running in the hallway for a half hour... .there was only one dropping and it was tiny and lined with a mucus type film.
If anyone has any ideas, I'd love to hear them!
Thank you so much.
Jennifer and Squeeker

post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-27-2002, 08:16 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

I would definitely go for a second opinion; Giardia can be hard to find.

You might also try some Bene-Bac gel. This is the positive bacteria that your chin would naturally have and could help out if it's just a simple imbalance.

Actually, now that I think about it, you may want to do a head x-ray to check for any teeth problems.

Stephanie

post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-27-2002, 08:23 PM
mundjl

Unhappy

Thanks... where can I find this bene-bac gel? Will it tell me how much to give him?
Is it weird that my other chin is completely healthy?

post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-27-2002, 08:23 PM

I second what Jade says! I also wanted to mention that the burnt toast is for loose stool where the extra raisins sould be used for constipation...not both at the same time.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-27-2002, 08:40 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

On the bene-bac, I'm going to change my suggestion! I'd go get some live acidophilus from an herb store (GNC has it) and give them about 1/16 of a dose recommended for humans. This will do the same thing and do it without the preservative in Bene-Bac (ethoxyquin is the preservative it uses and can be carcinogenic, among other things.).

Stephanie

post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-28-2002, 08:17 AM

Well, it sounds quite complicated. I've always associated mucus with loose stools. Was the poop soft?

Sounds like costipation to me in association with some sort of intestinal irritation. I've founds that chins sometimes go through times when they get slimy stuff on their poo and nothing is wrong (it does not seem to be contagious and doesn't turn much up at the vet). Nonetheless, I think that you need a second opinion to see if it is constipation.

In the meantime, exercise and fluids are always good. Good luck.

Patti
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-28-2002, 08:51 AM

I agree with everything that has been said here, get a second opinion plenty of fluids and exercise.

BTW, What brand of pellets are you feeding him?

Tags
pet store