sick chinchilla help!! - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Chinchilla Discussion Twitching whiskers, fluffy tails, silky soft fur and all else chinchilla!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-27-2008, 06:39 PM Thread Starter

sick chinchilla help!!

Our chin is about 5-6 years old and he's having some problems this evening. Recently we've noticed that he's lost a bit of weight and isn't eating as much. Earlier today he started looking really weak and sickly. Then he began running around his cage frantically and squealing loudly afterwards...he did this about four or five times tonight. He seems pretty sick, his ears are all droopy and everything.

We've heard that chins can live quite a while but some of our others have only lived a few years and we're not sure if this is just an old age problem. We're considering calling the emergency vet to have him put down, but only if there's no hope of treating/curing him. Any advice?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-27-2008, 06:45 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

There's no way to know if it's curable without a diagnosis. He needs to see a vet. Urgently.

Stephanie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-27-2008, 06:46 PM
I'm not weird, I'm gifted

Call the vet!
It sounds like teeth problems, and that can be quite a big problem.

It's not old age... Old age is when the chinchilla is 10 or 15... But they can live to about 20 years (some chinchillas do live more than 20 years)
I have one 11 year old chinchilla, and he dosen't seam old at all, and one 9 year old chinchilla, and she's not old to look at either...

/Pia

I apologized if my english is not correct
Owned by chinchillas since 1997
Breeding since 2005

<-- Check out my blog for Chinfo
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-28-2008, 08:37 AM Thread Starter

So we took him to the vet and he has an upper respiratory problem, possibly pneumonia. He's still at the vet for a bit so he can get some fluids and medicine.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-28-2008, 08:38 AM
Will It Ever Change?

oh no! well at least the vet could help and now he has meds. my best wishes for a quick recovery, keep us updated

"If you can't change your fate, change your attitude." - Amy Tan
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-28-2008, 10:20 AM
Movin' Up in the Pack

Good luck with your chin, I hope he recovers quickly :hugs:
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-28-2008, 05:23 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the replies & good wishes everyone...we've got our chinnie back home now, he's still not looking all that great but he's better than he was last night. Tomorrow morning the vet wants to see him again and try to get some bloodwork done. He still hasn't really eaten but we're going to see what happens, right now resting is probably good for him. The vet seemed to be pretty optimistic about his condition so I'm really hoping he can pull through.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-28-2008, 05:38 PM
Will It Ever Change?

aww i'm glad to hear he's home with you now. hopefully the fluids and meds will help, i'm glad your vet is very interested in helping, i know that can be hard to find sometimes

post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-28-2008, 10:23 PM
I'm not weird, I'm gifted

If you at some point get scred because he dosen't seam to eat, try asking the vet for Critical Care.
You can't really give too much, and most chinchillas love this, and it can kickstart a chinchilla into eating

/Pia

I apologized if my english is not correct
Owned by chinchillas since 1997
Breeding since 2005

<-- Check out my blog for Chinfo
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-30-2008, 04:07 PM Thread Starter

Well, unfortunately, our little guy did not make it. He died right as we arrived at the emergency vet, though they were probably going to put him down anyway. He'd been struggling to breathe because of his respiratory illness. May he rest in peace.

Thanks everyone for the support you've given.
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-30-2008, 04:16 PM
Movin' Up in the Pack

I'm sorry for your loss. Mine passed away on Tuesday
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-30-2008, 04:35 PM Thread Starter

I'm so sorry, Janelle.
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-01-2008, 08:54 AM
Will It Ever Change?

awww im so sorry you lost your chin! that's so sad. rip little one

Tags
emergency vet