Sip and nibble - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Chinchilla Discussion Twitching whiskers, fluffy tails, silky soft fur and all else chinchilla!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-10-2005, 01:27 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Pack

Sip and nibble

I have a chinchilla who is a first time mother, her kits were born a week ago she had three and two survived. The kits are so active compared to my first kit that was born about six weeks ago. I am concerned about the mother of these two active kits. Kapuah, the mother, has drastically slowed how much she eats and drinks. The kits are gaining weight and she keeps losing weight. I put a cranberry juice bottle on the cage for her along with her water bottle, given her a few extra treats and mixed some calf mana into her regular food. She is eating and drinking but it is so little, at what point would you say it's time to go to the vet? and do you have any suggestions for stimulating her appetite or what might be causing her to so drastically change her eating habits after giving birth. She is also pretty inactive and stays in one or two spots in the cage for the entire day, when she used to be one of my most active chinchillas.

I brush myself aside thinking, well she just had babies, I'd be tired too with these two active kits but the nibbling and not really eating like she should, doesn't make sense, she needs to eat so she can have milk for the babies...but the babies are gaining weight.

Hmmm, after writing this all out I am going to call the vet just run it past them, it's important to listen to gut feelings and I feel something just isn't quit right and have some evidence to support it.

I'll let you know, and in the meantime if you have any good ideas to stimulate your chins apetite please let me know.

Thanks.

My wonderful loves:
Emma, Xavier, SweetPea, Mr. Pickles, Mary Beth, Sheldon,Zena,Cadbury,Kapuah,Walter,Lou,Chip, Dilbert, Cartman, Gessepi,Miranda, Henry & Riker (my chins)/ Bunny, Little Cat,Clarissa (cats) , Lucy & Grace (Dappled Doxies) Simon (GSD puppy), Cookie (Australian Shepherd puppy), Captain Jack (cockatiel)
Bella Chinchillas
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-10-2005, 01:55 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Pack

My vet moved but they could have someone call me on Wednesday? Five days from now? um..not really acceptable. I have a call in to another place they suggested I call. oh I am not enjoying this morning.

My wonderful loves:
Emma, Xavier, SweetPea, Mr. Pickles, Mary Beth, Sheldon,Zena,Cadbury,Kapuah,Walter,Lou,Chip, Dilbert, Cartman, Gessepi,Miranda, Henry & Riker (my chins)/ Bunny, Little Cat,Clarissa (cats) , Lucy & Grace (Dappled Doxies) Simon (GSD puppy), Cookie (Australian Shepherd puppy), Captain Jack (cockatiel)
Bella Chinchillas
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-10-2005, 04:55 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

Eeek. Yeah, I'd definitely want her seen. Things that come to mind are a retained placenta or kit and the resulting infection, uterine tear from a hard labor, nutrition deficiency ... Keep us updated, Jenn.

Stephanie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-10-2005, 05:09 PM
Newborn Pup

Hm... I've heard people using those needle looking pumps of some sort with crushed pellets to force feed the chinchilla.

I've heard that yogurt helps stimulate appetite too.... maybe that will help?
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-10-2005, 05:53 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

I wouldn't recommend the yogurt unless you didn't have another form of probiotic (drug stores sell acidophilus). Yogurt contains lactose, which can be poorly tolerated by adult herbivores in some cases.

I wouldn't be as concerned about 'stimulating appetite' as I would be about finding the underlying cause and treating that. Chins typically don't stop eating for no reason.

Stephanie

post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-10-2005, 05:58 PM
Newborn Pup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jade
I wouldn't recommend the yogurt unless you didn't have another form of probiotic (drug stores sell acidophilus). Yogurt contains lactose, which can be poorly tolerated by adult herbivores in some cases.

I wouldn't be as concerned about 'stimulating appetite' as I would be about finding the underlying cause and treating that. Chins typically don't stop eating for no reason.
Ooh.. thanks for letting me know about that. I definitely wasn't sure... but now I know what to do.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-11-2005, 05:22 PM
Kansas City Chinchillas

I agree with Jade about finding out why mom's eating and drinking habits have changed drastically. Hopefully you will be able to get her in to the vet tomorrow.

Cathy
Kansas City Chinchillas

post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-27-2005, 12:59 PM
Adolescent Pup

Any Update on the Mom and Kits???

~Misty~

post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-17-2005, 10:29 AM Thread Starter
Part of the Pack

Mom pulled through. I never did find a vet to get her in with . I force fed her every two hours for , I am not sure how long and she eventually started getting stronger. She is a great mom and her kits are soo active and *sighs* a bit bratty. They hop on her, sleep on her, go for rides on her, it is pretty cute I'll admit. I still have all three right with me in my office and I would say today that we are fully recovered.

My wonderful loves:
Bella Chinchillas
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-18-2005, 09:52 AM
Adolescent Pup

I'm Glad to hear they are all doing better!!

~Misty~