Small Mat in his Fur - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Chinchilla Discussion Twitching whiskers, fluffy tails, silky soft fur and all else chinchilla!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-08-2007, 09:30 PM Thread Starter

Question Small Mat in his Fur

Hey All,

Our sweet little ball of trouble (aka Puck) has got a small mat in his fur behind his ear that is itching him something fierce. He keeps scratching at it, and its gotten all pink.

Last time he had a mat it was loose enough that we could pick it out gently, but this time its right against the skin.

He also has a small bump with a black/gray spot near the same area. I think its probably a small scab from scratching, but could it possibly be an ingrown bit of fur (the way people get ingrown hairs)?

Does anyone have any suggestions for something to ease the itching? I have a hunch the irritation will subside on its own if he stops scratching. We've told him not to, but he doesn't seem to be listening and whenever we pet him he tries to get us to scratch for him...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-09-2007, 12:56 PM
Proud New Mommy

Does he get mats very often? What type of bath dust are you using and how often?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Live your beliefs and you can turn the world around"- Henry David Thoreau
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-09-2007, 01:45 PM Thread Starter

Post only once before

He's only ever had one other mat.

We give him baths every few days.

We live in DC, so its hot and humid as all get out - but our apartment is VERY well air-conditioned.

I believe we're using the Kaytee brand - and he's never had any adverse reaction to it before.

Thanks for any insight!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-10-2007, 12:24 PM
Proud New Mommy

I'm not sure why he would be getting mats. I am a little concerned about the scab behind his ear but as long as it's not itching him too bad and as long as it doesn't seem infected, I would just suggest maybe you start grooming him. He may have longer fur that needs tending to. Not sure though. Sorry I can't be much of help.

post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-10-2007, 12:42 PM

you can always take him to the vet to have a good 'look over' to make sure nothing in his diet or what not (that you may have over looked) is causing fur troubles. It might be bad genetics if you got him from a pet store. i dunno

but I, personally would do that (quick vet checkup) if andy (my chin) had the probs. b/c i dont know his genetic background
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-11-2007, 04:08 PM Thread Starter

Arrow Took him to the vet...

Hey Guys,

Thanks so much for taking the time to reply. Here’s a quick follow up.

We did take Puck to the vet – and the vet said he definitely had a scratch/sore under the matted fur that could be mites, and could be somewhat infected.

The vet gave him an injection of Ivermectin – and he (Puck, not the vet) is now on a 2 week regimen of Baytril and Tresaderm. We also cleaned the living daylights out of his cage and replaced any wooden perches and such that could possibly have had mites in them.

Let me tell you, he hates it! I have never seen an animal make a more disgusted face then when we give him his oral antibiotics.

But he was an incredibly brave and remarkably well behaved boy at the vet! Two very proud chinny parents! I grew up with several cats and dogs, and none of them ever handled a vet trip as well as he did.

He seems to be doing OK – if rather angry and pouty. We’re watching him like a hawk since this is the first time he’s ever had to go on medication. Based on what we’ve read here at paw-talk, and elsewhere, it seems like all the meds he’s gotten are the safe ones…but we’re still worried about the lil dude.

p.s. Because we’re such horrible parents, and he was pouting so cutely, we took some photos of him at the vet via camera phone. I’ll see about posting them soon. Thanks again – and if anyone knows anything about these meds that we should – we’re all ears!
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-11-2007, 04:09 PM Thread Starter

Lightbulb Breeder

Oh yes - and I forgot to say - we got him from an excellent breeder - Sassy herself - so we know he comes from good stock.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-11-2007, 07:12 PM

It's odd that a chinchilla would get mats...the only time I've ever had them in a chin was when applying ointment to a problem area. I would get a good chinchilla comb and groom him up really well, then maybe increasing the amount of dusting done per week as the humidity in the air could be causing the problem as well. Of course I would also take him to the vet as well...he could be having a skin reaction to something causing him to itch and all the scratching could be causing the matting. Let us know what happens
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-14-2007, 03:46 AM

glad he's on meds and sounds like he'll be just fine
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-14-2007, 01:06 PM
Will It Ever Change?

glad to hear he's doing well! i figure you just cut the mat out then eh?

"If you can't change your fate, change your attitude." - Amy Tan
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-14-2007, 02:16 PM Thread Starter

Lemme 'splain...

...no, its too much, let me sum up

OK, when we started giving him the Baytril, he made a face that looked like he was trying to dislocate his jaw. He also started fighting us like MAD whenever we picked him (he's normally a bit fussy, but OK). He also stopped eating and drinking completely!!!

Needless to say, this freaked us out!

After a day and a half of not eating or drinking (he would eat hay only, and chew on his sticks and toys) and being a bit lethargic, we took him to a different vet - who was AMAZING!

It turns out, the first vet, who is really nice and meant well - but does not have as much experience with exotics (especially chins) gave him the Baytril they use for injections - straight no chaser. She (the new vet) made a face very much like Puck did when she described what it tastes like.

She gave him a full exam, looked at where the mat/scab was (its greatly improved then, even better now) and is waiting to see the results of a fungal culture (just to be sure).

She says he looked pretty good, and was not overly worried about his lack of water consumption - saying he did not seem dehydrated. She also said as long as he was chowing on hay, she wasn't worried that he was not eating pellets.

Best of all, she gave us some flavored Baytril, that he takes SOOO much more easily (we gave him his first dose at the vet) as well as a flavored Meloxicam to help with the itching. He does not like the Melox. as much, but, and this is just hysterical - he now LOVES the flavored Baytril!! No more squirting in the side of his mouth, he laps it right out of the syringe and licks his lips when he's done. Too cute!

So, as of last night he has started drinking a little, and has nibbled on his pellets a teeny bit. I don't think we're quite out of the woods, yet, but I think we've found the path.

I will say, we also now have a vet who is AMAZING! She's significantly further away (especially in traffic) but is too good not to use, and is associated with a 24 hour emergency care facility that has exotic vets all the time.

So - thank you all for chiming in, its very much appreciated. I will post some pics of him ASAP, but we've been so worried about making sure he's OK most everything else has fallen by the wayside.

If anyone has any suggestions on how to encourage a chin to drink more water, I'd love to hear it. We have tried the organic, sugarless apple juice mix idea, and he completely ignored it. We've also tried to get him to eat a little organic lettuce (since its mostly water) but he has no interest.

Thanks again everyone!
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-14-2007, 05:08 PM
I'm not weird, I'm gifted

One of my chinnies produce to much ear was. This can be seen by some dandruff on his ears, and sometimes he gets small mats of fur around his ears. The only way to get rid of them is to cut them of.

We have been to a couple of vets about this ear problem because we coulnd't understand why he's ears looked so weird, and no treatment helped. The one of them noticed that he had to much ear wax and conluded that it had to be why he got thos small problems. But as long as he is not bothert byt his ears, we are not going to do anything about it
He is 10 btw, and it's the only thing that's ever been wrong with him So I wouldn't worry if it's a mat that comes back some times, and it's only around the ears

/Pia

I apologized if my english is not correct
Owned by chinchillas since 1997
Breeding since 2005

<-- Check out my blog for Chinfo
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-18-2007, 04:23 PM
Paw-Talk Golden Member

im glad to hear your chin is doing well

i will hold you forever
i will stand beside you forever
keep fighting
keep breathing
hold onto me and dont let go
NEVER let go
you are my world
make it through
i pray for you

VIXEY- March 25, 1994- October 11, 2006 at 10pm
SKRAT- October 21, 2005- January 15, 2007 at 5am
BAXTER- January 30, 2007
I will love you forever, always

Next time we meet again, it will be FOREVER

post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-19-2007, 10:15 AM
Proud New Mommy

That's great that he's doing so much better. I'm glad you found a good vet to help you out!! As far as the water, I'm sure he is fine.

Tags
exotic vet, pet store