Smoke? Fire? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Chinchilla Discussion Twitching whiskers, fluffy tails, silky soft fur and all else chinchilla!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-11-2004, 12:24 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Lifer

Exclamation Smoke? Fire?

Oh no, wait. That's just chinchilla dust.

Ugh, I think we need to move. There is a smoke detector in the room my chins are in. The catch is that it's one of those 'seeing' smoke detectors and any time one of them takes a vigorous bath outside the cage, it goes off. This time it was 2:30am!! It scared the living daylights out of me the first time it went off! I try to shop-vac out the cover each time I clean the room or just the floors, but it doesn't do much good.

Stephanie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-11-2004, 12:31 PM
Angel to Abandoned Puppies

ugh!! That sucks, and would drive me batty.

big hugs to you!!

MCBA Member

I've Been Frosted
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-11-2004, 12:42 PM
Playful Pup

Arrow

wow, that must be so annoying , my mom took the batteries out of ours because whenever she cooked it would go off, the thing is she dosent cook it, she burns it so the smole alarm would go off!!

TAZ

GINGER

MINSTREL

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-11-2004, 01:53 PM
Fluffy Potatokisser

Re: Smoke? Fire?

My mom was the same way...we knew dinner was ready when the smoke alarm went off! LOL! Jade, I would take the batteries out of that one and get another regular smoke detector...I had the same problem with my chin room. There are 2 smoke detectors in there, only one has batteries in it!

Chin Mom to Lila, Skye, Ty, Rolex, Calypso, Lizzie, Jax, Sam, Sage, Lorenzo, Spitfire, Holly, Dylan, Leia, Punky, Kylie, Skylar, Jetta, Oreo, Emma, Forest, Georgie, Alexis, Picador and all the kits!
Pittie Mom to Kali and Orion
Rattie Mom to Drake and Dumbo
Bunny Mom to Dutchie
Plain ole Mom to Zach, Brandon and Connor!
Come visit us at
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-11-2004, 01:55 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Lifer

There ARE no batteries! It runs off the security system!

Stephanie

post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-11-2004, 02:07 PM
Salamander Buffalokisser

Oh no Jade sorry it just struck me as funny. Is there anyway to take it off of the wall from the power source, you know like unplug it??

Stephanie
Be who you are and say what you feel
Because those who mind don't matter
and those who matter don't mind

check out my blog:

post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-11-2004, 02:13 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Lifer

It's mounted to the ceiling.

Stephanie

post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-11-2004, 02:25 PM
Salamander Buffalokisser

we had one that was mounted to the ceiling and I had to get up on a ladder and twist it off of its base then pull the wires from it because it went nuts on us and started going off in the middle of the night... We at the moment only have one working fire alarm and thats in the basement, all our other ones went nuts and started going off.

Stephanie
Be who you are and say what you feel
Because those who mind don't matter
and those who matter don't mind

check out my blog:

post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-11-2004, 02:32 PM

Can you cover it with plastic during chin bath time? I have similar smoke alarms in my house and I think it might be a possibility to do that.
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-11-2004, 02:34 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Lifer

I considered doing that, not sure how to effectively cover it though. I'll work on it. Thanks for the suggestion, Dena. My chinnies will appreciate it too - they all dove for cover last night!

Stephanie

post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-11-2004, 09:45 PM
Tarzan Mama of Two

how frustrating!!! I don't even have smoke detectors in my house (my bad I know!)...well I have them...they are in their box that I bought them in! Good luck Jade!!! When I still lived with my p's my dad sent one off really early one morning and it didn't wake me, and it was right outside my bedroom door!!

Too lazy to even think of a siggy
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-11-2004, 10:04 PM
Obsessed With Turtles

I think Dena's idea is best or maybe a dar cloth of some sort so it can't "see" teh smoke. I wouldn't diasble it though, what if there really was a fire *shrug*

( I learned this the hard way remember... and shame on you carmen!!) Let me know if you find something that works!!
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-11-2004, 10:10 PM
Tarzan Mama of Two

I'm sorry Kay!

Too lazy to even think of a siggy
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-12-2004, 12:43 AM
Fluffy Potatokisser

Can you talk to the apartment manager about it? Tell them that it goes off so much you don't even pay it any mind anymore...it's like the boy who cried wolf except it's the detector that cried fire! Sorry! I didn't mean to laugh! Poor chinnies are going to have a heart attack with that thing!

Chin Mom to Lila, Skye, Ty, Rolex, Calypso, Lizzie, Jax, Sam, Sage, Lorenzo, Spitfire, Holly, Dylan, Leia, Punky, Kylie, Skylar, Jetta, Oreo, Emma, Forest, Georgie, Alexis, Picador and all the kits!
Pittie Mom to Kali and Orion
Rattie Mom to Drake and Dumbo
Bunny Mom to Dutchie
Plain ole Mom to Zach, Brandon and Connor!
Come visit us at
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-12-2004, 10:10 AM

If the smoke detectors are attached to the alarm you probably don't want to mess with it. Something was wrong with my wiring and for some reason it just tripped the smoke alarms also tripping the alarm constantly. I had to run around my house and check for a fire with the alarm company on the phone. Plus if they are the only smoke detectors it would be illegal to disarm them.

Jade - try the glad press and seal saran wrap. you would probably be able to wrap it right at the top of the dector without having to stick any tape to the ceiling.

Tags
chin room