The "Smush" method - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Chinchilla Discussion Twitching whiskers, fluffy tails, silky soft fur and all else chinchilla!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-09-2004, 01:23 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Lifer

The "Smush" method

Since I'm now paranoid about the wire cage Praline was in (with Aston), I'm trying to intro Aston and Audi. Her teeth are nice and orange again and she's gained about 50 grams, so I'm comfortable with her breeding in the next few months.

I'm using the 'smush' method, which was presented by Gary Neubauer (sp?). Basically it consists of putting a smelly substance such as Vicks (I'm using vanilla) on each chin's rump and nose, to help disguise smell, and putting them in a very small space to work out their differences.

It worked VERY well for Aston and Praline so I thought I'd give it a shot. Both of them thoroughly hate me at the moment and I managed to snap a pic. What I do is block off half of a carrier with thick fabric and a terra cotta pot and put both chins in after a bath.

Overall it's going decently. They're mounting each other, trying to work out dominance, but no injuries or fur flying. I'll keep you all updated.

Stephanie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-09-2004, 01:28 PM
Angel to Abandoned Puppies

awww YAYYYYYYY!! GO Aston and Audi

MCBA Member

I've Been Frosted
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-09-2004, 02:52 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Lifer

Well so far so good! They were in the carrier about 45-60 mins and finally settled down. They're now in Audi's melamine cage. I'm a bit nervous as females can be territorial but they seem to be doing quite well.

I doused all the wood with some vinegar and put Aston's hut in the cage to help eliminate Audi's scent and incorporate Aston's. I also took a scoop of used shavings (ick!) from Praline and Aston's cage and sprinkled them lightly over Audi's cage. Hopefully these factors combined with the vanilla will keep them civil.

Stephanie

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-09-2004, 02:52 PM
Movin' Up in the Pack

What a riot! I never heard of such a method but if it works go for it!!

I usually place chins in separate cages side by side for a week or so, deprive them of a bath for about 5 days, then place the bath in the females cage along with the male chin and watch em roll!! This is usally a sucess but some times I have to separate them and try again several days to a week later. This is really easy to accomplish if the female is in estrus (heat).

Team Captain: Mother of 250 chinchillas!
New litters weekly...I must be nuts
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-09-2004, 02:54 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Lifer

Debbie, I tried something similar with Praline and Aston and they just would NOT cooperate! I finally resorted to this method and was thrilled at how well it worked! I figured I'd try it again.

Stephanie

post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-09-2004, 02:57 PM
Movin' Up in the Pack

Hey Stephanie, I'm making note of this one. By the way I love your BUNNY in a basket.

Team Captain: Mother of 250 chinchillas!
New litters weekly...I must be nuts
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-09-2004, 02:59 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Lifer

Thanks! There are more pics in the "Easter Photo Shoot" thread.

Stephanie

post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-09-2004, 03:31 PM
Fluffy Potatokisser

Hey Steph! I call it "The Smooosh Method" but it's all the same. You know I have the exact same carrier and when I intro'd Ty and Phil, I did the exact same thing you've done, and it worked really well. Unfortunely, I later discovered that Phil is a friend chewer and chewed the daylights out of Ty's fur...although Ty didn't care, I separated them to be sure it was Phil and not Ty chewing his own fur. Sure enough, 2 months after being separated, Ty's fur is almost completely grown in. They aren't caged together anymore, but they get their playtime together, so they are enjoying that. After the Smooosh method, a little bit of fur flew with all the dominance humping, but both boys ended up just fine once they worked it all out. At first, they went into Ty's cage because it would be easier for me to snag them if need be, then they moved into Phil's cage a few days later and all was well. I just wish Phil wasn't a friend chewer! LOL

Chin Mom to Lila, Skye, Ty, Rolex, Calypso, Lizzie, Jax, Sam, Sage, Lorenzo, Spitfire, Holly, Dylan, Leia, Punky, Kylie, Skylar, Jetta, Oreo, Emma, Forest, Georgie, Alexis, Picador and all the kits!
Pittie Mom to Kali and Orion
Rattie Mom to Drake and Dumbo
Bunny Mom to Dutchie
Plain ole Mom to Zach, Brandon and Connor!
Come visit us at
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-09-2004, 03:34 PM
User Is No Longer Welcome

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chinchilla_Girl
After the Smooosh method, a little bit of fur flew with all the dominance humping, but both boys ended up just fine once they worked it all out.
So 2 boys do well together???
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-09-2004, 03:34 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Lifer

I've had good luck with two males together, Nicole.

Stephanie

post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-09-2004, 03:36 PM
User Is No Longer Welcome

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jade
I've had good luck with two males together, Nicole.
Thanks for answering

I am not interested in being a chin breeder (when I finally get one) but am interested in getting maybe 2 different chins, so to know that is good... How about 2 females?
post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-09-2004, 03:36 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Lifer

Females can be a bit more tricky, but when introduced at a very young age, I'm told they do well.

Stephanie

post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-09-2004, 03:37 PM
Fluffy Potatokisser

Males can be together just fine as long as there isn't a female involved...When they are out for playtime, Ty gets a little protective when Phil gets too close to Mercedes cage! He's already decided that she belongs to HIM! LOL! It's funny though, because Mercedes sprays any male that gets too close to her cage except Ty!

Chin Mom to Lila, Skye, Ty, Rolex, Calypso, Lizzie, Jax, Sam, Sage, Lorenzo, Spitfire, Holly, Dylan, Leia, Punky, Kylie, Skylar, Jetta, Oreo, Emma, Forest, Georgie, Alexis, Picador and all the kits!
Bunny Mom to Dutchie
Come visit us at
post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-09-2004, 03:39 PM
Fluffy Potatokisser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jade
Females can be a bit more tricky, but when introduced at a very young age, I'm told they do well.
I'm thinking of introducing Jetta and Mercedes when Jetta gets out of quarentine...that way they'll have a friend to keep each other company until they are old enough to be introduced to their boyfriends

Bunny Mom to Dutchie
Come visit us at
post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-09-2004, 05:40 PM
Super Soaker Snot Ball Shooter

Um, ya, they definitely look smushed. Can you imagine if that was done with people?! So and so don't like each other, let's smush them together!

Love the sig pic Jade!

I had a problem introducing male/male. They just didn't get along no matter how many times I tried. My females immediately took to each other. Chalk it up to me having freaks for pets.

Rhonda

Tags
chin room, male cat, males together, separate cages, wire cage