some newbi questions - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Chinchilla Discussion Twitching whiskers, fluffy tails, silky soft fur and all else chinchilla!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-28-2003, 11:22 AM Thread Starter

some newbi questions

Hi, I am getting my first chin in a week or so, and I had a few questions.

1. The chin I am looking to buy is 6 months old and very affectionate… a little too affectionate… he kind of humped my hand. Is this normal for the little guys, it did not bug me, but it would be nice to know if I am getting a weird one, and if there are any ways to discourage this behavior.

2. I have a sun room in my house; it is on the north side of the house so it does not actually get a whole lot of sun or any thing. In my climate it gets down pretty low in the winter, I was wondering if this would be an appropriate place to put his cage for the winter month, like if it would enjoy the cold? Etc

3. How big of a cage is good for a starter?, I want plenty of room for jumping and playing, but I do not want to spend a lot, I am pretty handy with tools so if you can suggest a way to build one that would be ok too.

I love the little things; they have very interesting behavior, and personalities and I have read quite a bit about them but it is better to get this kind of info first hand.

Probably more questions to come thanks for your help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-28-2003, 11:31 AM
Paw-Talk Lifer

1 - He's just coming into puberty and the behavior is totally normal. My 'teenagers' would hump my slippers when they were young and just grew out of it.

2 - Chins pretty much need a constant environment and a constant temperature. The less you move the cage, the better. If the sunroom has a/c and heat, it would be fine as long as he's not in direct sunlight. If it doesn't, I'd not move him for the winter.

3 - The bigger the cage, the better. I like my minimum cages to have at least three shelves and a bottom floor. http://www.spoiledchins.net has awesome cages and I wouldn't go much smaller than this for two chins.

Feel free to ask more questions, and Welcome to Paw-Talk!

Stephanie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-28-2003, 11:42 AM
Member formerly known as MistyLea21

1. Yes Jade is correct. Some males will hump anything in sight. It's not always just young males though. It's just males in general IMO. I have a full grown male that trys to do it. I have learned that males that are caged alone tend to do it A LOT more due to being lonely.

2. Agreed again. Don't move chins any more than need be. They don't take well to "change". As long as he is in your house in temps below 78 degrees, he will be fine.

3. No smaller than 24x24x24 for two chins. Sometime if a cage is too big to START OFF IN, it is overwhelming for the chin and makes it harder for it to adjust.
I had a customer once that built a 5ft x 4ft x 4ft cage for 2 chins! They FLIPPED out. So start off at an acceptable size, then work your way up if you want. Yes spoiledchins.net has awesome cage designs!!

Misty

Silver Mist Studios

Custom Designer Jewelry, Handmade Lampwork Glass Beads and More!

Eyes Of Texas Chinchillas

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-28-2003, 11:47 AM Thread Starter

Ah ok that is good, don't want him traumatizing my niece =P

How important is it for him to have a play mate, I see so many people that have 3-5 of the little guys, I am wondering how happy it will be by it self. I mean I don’t think I will have any shortage of play time with it but ….
I barely got my parents to let me have one I don’t know if they would be ok with me getting more.

Some day (soon hopefully) I will be able to move out and I plan on maybe getting more then, but for now one seems to be it.

Also are most apartment buildings cool with chins?
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-28-2003, 11:54 AM
Paw-Talk Lifer

I had absolutely NO problem with the 10+ apartments I asked about chins. Equate them to a guinea pig and most will tell you no problem, no pet deposit needed.

Play mates are dependent upon you. Chins are social by nature and need a lot of interaction. If you have a lot of time to devote to him, he'll likely be fine.

Stephanie

post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-28-2003, 11:57 AM

At this time, if you are devoting enough time to him he will be fine alone. I prefer all animals in twos. I don't personally like to see animals caged alone. But for some people it just works better that way. So just keep giving him plenty of attention and he will be fine.

All apartments are gonna be different. Some will still require deposits even on caged pets. So you will just have to look around.

Misty

Silver Mist Studios

post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-28-2003, 01:50 PM Thread Starter

would a large (like 1.5 gallon) pickle jar with a plastic lid make a good bath house

it is glass, and if it is in the wood chips it would not slide around so much

i hate the look of the plascite bath housed but i like the idea so as not to make so much of a mess, pluse this one you can really see the little guy

is pvc an ok materal to make toys out of, like make some cool pipes etc

also what are your thoughts on the hopper vs dish thing for feeding?

more questions to come probably
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-28-2003, 03:04 PM

The glass jar would be fine for a dust house without the lid.
PVC pipe is fine for them.
I would not use the hopper style feeders (just dont like them) I would rather use the bolt on metal bowls or the ceramic bowls.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-28-2003, 06:52 PM
Proud New Mommy

About the bowls, I use metal bins that clip on the cage.. They're awesome.

"Live your beliefs and you can turn the world around"- Henry David Thoreau
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-29-2003, 09:20 PM Thread Starter

How much noise are we talking here, i mean i know that it is sugested that you not keep the little guys in your bed room but as it is at my house this seems to be the best option

Anyone keep the cage in the bed room?

Also the smell is it really that bad? i mean form what i have read, it is not....

As it is not my parents are kinda vetoing the whole chinchilla things.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-30-2003, 09:32 AM

I sleep in a room with 21 chins and 3 prairie dogs. They just make noise when they run around the cage. But when I had 2 chins in a regular chin cage, I never heard him.
No they are practically odorless and easy to clean up after. Thats what makes them so nice. If they smelled AT ALL I would NOT have 21 in my bedroom!!

Misty

Silver Mist Studios

Tags
guinea pig, prairie dog, prairie dogs