Split-ended whiskers? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Chinchilla Discussion Twitching whiskers, fluffy tails, silky soft fur and all else chinchilla!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-05-2004, 11:00 PM Thread Starter
Movin' Up in the Pack

Question Split-ended whiskers?

This may be a stupid question but this is my first chin so I just don't know. Mo has whiskers on his left side that are bent, split, and just generally crazy looking. All the ones on his right side, though, are fine and straight. Is this normal?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-05-2004, 11:18 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

Was Mo with a cage mate before you bought him? Whisker chewing is a normal chinchilla dominance sign. The less dominant chin will get his whiskers chewed by the more dominant chin. My theory is that they use them for sensory purposes and the chin with chewed whiskers must rely on the chin with normal whiskers, but who knows.

Stephanie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-06-2004, 07:13 AM Thread Starter
Movin' Up in the Pack

I never thought of that! He did have some other buddies in the cage when I got him. Glad to know that my little guy is normal. Thanks for the info!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-07-2004, 12:23 AM
Movin' Up in the Pack

Sometimes this is a mild case of fungus. Usually chewed whiskers aren't bent or frayed. I would trim off the damaged part for protection and be sure to properly dispose of the clippings. They will grow back in pretty fast.

Team Captain: Mother of 250 chinchillas!
New litters weekly...I must be nuts
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-07-2004, 07:08 AM Thread Starter
Movin' Up in the Pack

Ooo. Ok. I didn't know they'd grow back! I'll have to do that. Thanks!
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-07-2004, 07:36 AM
Resident Chatroom Blonde

Hello again I wanted to make sure you were the right one.I am soo glad you finally made it here.I should of check his whiskers a little closer. For that I am sorry.Mo is a good name and I am happy to hear he is doing fine.I look forward to hearing more about him and maybe seeing a picture of how he is growing.

post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-07-2004, 11:08 AM
Adolescent Pup

Yup, trim the damaged edges off. Whiskers help chins sense things around them. If you ever go and touch a chins whiskers just gently to nose starts going and they turn in that direction. The whiskers are not frayed naturally because they work individually. If they are frayed, that one whisker is now picking up 3-4 different things at once. Am i making sense? Hope so.

Trim 'em down and they will grow back. Not too big of a deal

Psst...I have baby ringneck doves for sale! Pieds and an albino! Contact me for availability and pricing! Shipping can be worked out!

Tags
cage mate, doing fine