Store Chinchilla - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Chinchilla Discussion Twitching whiskers, fluffy tails, silky soft fur and all else chinchilla!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-10-2004, 08:09 AM Thread Starter

Store Chinchilla

I work at a pet store that sells either one or two chinchillas at a time. When I first started working there, I realized that nearly all of the animals there never was handled and the two chinchillas we were selling at the time were really agressive. When I sold both of them, I had to take them out of the cage obviously and both of them bit the crap out of my hand until it was bloody. So every chinchilla we got after that, I handled every day. It's sad though because I grow rather fond of the ones I have to sell but I can't buy one because I don't want my dog to accidentally kill it(he likes to play with small animals and doesn't know what stop means) and my cats(at least my fat one) would jump at the chance of killing a rabbit sized rodent. But since I've worked there, I did a lot of research on how to take care of chinchillas and all and the store wasn't doing a very good job. As with a few of the other animals.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-10-2004, 11:00 AM
Paw-Talk Therapist

Researching is the best thing you can do. Hopefully you can change the way the chins and other animals are being treated at your store. I'm sure the animals are very grateful for what you are doing. If you have any questions, you are in the right place to ask them

Owned by 26 chins, 7 cats, 2 dogs, and 7 aquariums

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Come drop by!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-10-2004, 01:00 PM
Incubator Cricket Killer

That is so sweet of you to take the time to do that! You're improving the chinchilla's life, and their chances of getting a home

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-12-2004, 10:08 PM
Movin' Up in the Pack

That store is lucky to have someone like you to care for their animals! I'm sure the future chin owners will appreciate all your hard work too. I'd push for a raise!
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-18-2004, 10:29 AM
Playful Pup

We bought a chin not that long ago from Petsmart only because we wanted to save it! She looked very young (maybe 3-4 months) and was in a very small enclosure with another chin. She looked so scared and sad! The identification card on the front of the glass even had false information on it. It said "chinchillas are diurnal and are most social during the day" !!! I asked to speak to the manager and of course he was not there, so I left my number. Needless to say he never called back, but I called him! I told him if Petsmart is going to sell exotic animals, then they should at least know a little bit about them and provide adequate housing and feed. He confessed to me that the chins had just arrived the day before I was there and were on a truck for 4 days!!! I was outraged!!! I sent a letter to the corporate office and begged them not to sell chinchillas anymore!!! The little girl we saved, Destiny, is now doing really well!

I think you have a big heart! People can really make a difference and you are proof of that!
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-18-2004, 10:42 AM
Paw-Talk Therapist

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheChinChilton
I think you have a big heart! People can really make a difference and you are proof of that!
I agree!!!! That is why we bought the 2 chinnies from the pet shop here in Italy, it was definitely for the well being of their lives, (not too mention I missed my all my chinnies so much). Anyhoo, Great Job, Keep up the good work, the pet store shoudl be proud to have someone like you working for them Mr_Deathly

MCBA Member

Submit your info today

I Sell Chinchilla Supplies!

Tags
exotic animals, pet shop, pet store