Tail eating - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Chinchilla Discussion Twitching whiskers, fluffy tails, silky soft fur and all else chinchilla!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 07-20-2006, 11:33 AM Thread Starter

Tail eating

Ok, so my (fixed) male chinchilla randomley eats the tip of his tail, he did it a couple months ago, stopped and is now doing it again. Add to this that my female is also eating his tailfur as well, but she leaves her tail alone.

He isn't acting any different just sorta has a bad habbit.

Any hints on what to do? I do not want to seperate them since they get along so well otherwise.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 07-25-2006, 03:41 PM
Adolescent Pup

I think that sometimes tail-biting is a dominance thing.. like chewing whiskers or mounting. Are you sure that he chews on his own tail?

My submissive chin has some fur missing from the tip of his tail and its the dominant chins that do it to him.

I also have a fur-chewer who lives alone and still chews.. mainly his tail. He has tons of toys, gets plenty of playtime, yet still chews.. So there isn't much to stop him from doing it.

I don't really have any advice.. other than separate them if its really bad.. like to the point of a broken tail or bleeding.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
NaTaLiE
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Setsuki (std) Coolio (bv) Butters (pw) & Diamond (sap) the chinchillas
Mortimer the cat