Tap water and malocclusion - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Chinchilla Discussion Twitching whiskers, fluffy tails, silky soft fur and all else chinchilla!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-08-2004, 11:23 PM Thread Starter
Movin' Up in the Pack

Tap water and malocclusion

Thanks Jade, great info.
**edited by Jade - I split this from the "Malocclusion in the chinchilla" thread, simply because it can turn into a totally separate discussion. **

I've been discussing with my vet about the chronic dental problems some chins have. Many chins suffer and it can be easily prevented. A large problem as well as genetics is people using tap water for their chins. The floride in the tap water blocks absorption of important minerals like calcium which effects the teeth. Also many people belive that because an animal is nocturnal they don't require sunlight. WRONG!! Chinchillas manufacture vitamin c in their bodys by using the sunlight similar to the same way humans manufacture vitamin D by the sunlight. Vitamin c is important in healthy teeth. I have skylights in my building for my chins and during the day they lay to the fronts of their cages to enjoy the sun. Many people also like to supplement with vitamin C. If you use tap water and deprive your chin of sunshine or vitamin c you will have serious dental and health problems.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Team Captain: Mother of 250 chinchillas!
New litters weekly...I must be nuts
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-09-2004, 11:30 AM
Tongue Tied..Literally!

There are many different opinions on what water is best for chinchillas. Some people swear by tap water and have never had a problem with malaccolusion.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-27-2005, 10:29 PM

Thanks!

Yikes!

Thanks for the heads-up.

Question: Can you just distill the water? Would that work?

Poco Rallin Dylan Ashley
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-28-2005, 03:13 AM
Paw-Talk Therapist

Great info .... I know we've always used bottled water, however when we were back in Chicago when there seemed to have been a shortage of bottled water at our local grocery store, we did use tap water but not before boiling it twice
Denise makes a good point as well

MCBA Member

Submit your info today

I Sell Chinchilla Supplies!
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-28-2005, 10:26 AM
Paw-Talk Therapist

I have used tap water all my chins life. Never had one problem. But they do get plenty of natural light

Owned by 26 chins, 7 cats, 2 dogs, and 7 aquariums

Come drop by!

post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-28-2005, 10:36 AM
Tiny Grosskisser

I use tap water, but I have the brita filtration system to block out anything harmful that may come from using it.

I do have a chin with malocclusion, but it came from him not chewing properly.

Karen

[

post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-28-2005, 03:33 PM
Movin' Up in the Pack

Not all tap water has flouride. I have well water. What about tap water that is hard? I've always wondered that but noone seems to know for sure.

Brenda
Caretaker of 2 dobermans,, 1 schnauzer, 5 cats, 3 goats, 1 parrot, 1 bearded dragon lizard, 11 chinchillas.
Rest in peace, Cricket, Casey, Bella, Yank, Chloe and Bones.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-17-2005, 09:29 PM
Adolescent Pup

Sorry this is an old thread but I was doing so catch up reading since i havent been on in a while....
I really like to know if any one has info about Hard water like CTChin mention?? I've been giving my chins just tap water....but we have really hard water too!!! We also have a Britta filter...does anyone know if that take out the floride?? I tried to read the filter box but i didnt say....Thanks!!!!

~Misty~

post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-17-2005, 10:14 PM
Herp Nerd

Leaded glass, which almost all houses are built with, blocks the majority of UV lighting, to the point where it is pretty much unusable to encourage Vitamin D production (which in turn aids in synthesis of calcium) - I've never heard of it producing Vitamin C, I thought that was entirely dietary. This has been a point with reptile keepers for ages and the reason why there are so many options for UV lighting on the market now.

Brita (or Pur, and other faucet or pitcher type) filters do not remove fluoride. You'd have to go to a full Reverse Osmosis/Deionization filter to do that.

Rav

She sits in her corner, singing herself to sleep.
Wrapped in all of the promises, that no one seems to keep.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-18-2005, 05:33 PM
Irregular and Proud!

Please note not to used distilled water. It does not have the minerals (like magnesium)in it that you need. Instead buy either "drinking water" or filter your tap water.

I have never thought about the malocolussion angle. I was always worried about water born pathogens like giadia.

I have used both tap and bottled at different times. Of course, I also drink the tap water whereever I live myself (including when I lived in Louisiana, Los Angeles, and New York)

Patti

Back in NC again! (Army wife and proud!)
Chinnies: Maureen, Max, and Muad'Dib
Cats: Daphne (who says, I only play with mousie toys with a string tail and a bell.)
And introducing: Tasselhof and Kittira (Hubbie's childhood cats, who are 10 and 9 repectively)

Tags
tap water