teeth - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Chinchilla Discussion Twitching whiskers, fluffy tails, silky soft fur and all else chinchilla!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-26-2007, 06:02 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

Unhappy teeth

hi
you are not going believe this well actaully you might!
we went for a drive in the weekend to pick up some chinnies in a pet store that looked like they needing rescueing.
the first girl has no toes on her front feet(thus the name No Toes) and was covered in matting poor wee thing but she is not my main concern.
the second girl had major eye infections which i knew could be treated but what didn't help was that she had dust in her cage so she just kept making herself sick i checked them this morning and got her out for my mum to meet and noticed she has really bad drooling so iam assuming that this is malcusion(excuse the spelling).
i have made an appiontment for the vet tonight so see what he has to say but i think if its teeth than the kindest thing could be to have her put to sleep, she seems to be eating and doing normal stuff but it makes me mad.
i don't want her to suffer is just so sad that she has obviously been neglected only to have found a great home(we boast 5 star accomadation and am building the chins new cages this weekend so make it 6 star! lol) only to have it end here

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Chin mummy to
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Zoe and Rupert
Sweet Pea and Snude
Fluke and Bindi
Sophie and Monty
No-toes
Snickers

Speights

Lily and Milo
RIP Olivia
Toby

0800 Chin Addiction Services

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-26-2007, 08:43 PM
Movin' Up in the Pack

Awww poor babies. I hope you don't have to put her down

Life's not about how to survive the storm, It's about learning how to dance in the rain.

Momma to: 2 human children Audree (2) and Jacob (7 mo.)
3 Doggies: Angel (13), Cricket (1), and Diesel (4mo.)
1 Kitty: Mazey (Age unknown)
2 ferrets - Mocha and Marshall
1 bunny - Ice

Working to make a change, one paw at a time!
Volunteer - Skinny Little Buddy's Rescue
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-26-2007, 08:55 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

aw thats sad

[/CENTER]

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-26-2007, 10:01 PM
Newborn Pup

that is heartbreaking! you are doing such a wonderful thing, it's terrible that by the sheer fact that you are committing these wonderful acts of kindness that you are subject to heartbreaks like this. i hope the teeth turn out to be just in need of a trim due to poor nutrition rather than actual malocclusion. i'll keep my fingers crossed.
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-27-2007, 09:30 AM
Adolescent Pup

Wow. I got my babies from a petstore because I have heard that the store only sells baby animals and after a certain age they are put to sleep. I have two amazing chinnies and they are so perfect, I cannot believe a pet store would be so cruel and still open!

Chinnie Mom and Grandmom to
Hailey & Lil' Mr.
Henry
& Abbi
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-27-2007, 11:51 AM
Kansas City Chinchillas

Poor chins you are good to take them in a care for them.

Cathy
Kansas City Chinchillas

post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-27-2007, 12:02 PM
Oily Chickenspew

hope everything is ok

Tara
Andy-Chinchilla
Jaws & Chomper-Firebellied Toads Senor-Tiger Salamander
Merlin-Crowntail Betta Harry Potter-Mystery Snail
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-27-2007, 04:59 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

hey everyone
i would have done this last night but came home and crashed out in bed.
we ended up deciding to put her down as sh e was only 481gms and suppose to be 4yrs old so that is under wieght and any surgery to be done was too risky and she would probably need all her molars removed this was before we looked at her mouth!
our vet is really good he gives them a gas to make them sleepy before actually injecting them makes things much nicer for all involved, i was racked with guilt but knew there wasn't much hope with things this far advanced.
our vet decided thatbefore we gave her the injection to check her mouth just to make sure, the malocusion was sooooo bad she could not open her mouth her teeth had overgrown that much, she would have eventually starved or at least dehydrated to death!
i feel better knowing that i made the right decision but sad cos she had obviously suffered before this and her previous owner hadn't done the right thing.
my next worry is that because we have no dental history on the other that came with her and the only information i got from the petshop was that they were both suppose to be 4 yrs old and could not be housed together are they sisters or considering that No Toes looks younger are they mother and daughter and how far pronounced if any are her teeth?
(we call her No Toes cos she got no toes on her front feet she has nubs and thats about it)

so sorry to ramble and thanks for al the concern

Rest in Peace Olivia no one can hurt you now

Chin mummy to

Zoe and Rupert
Sweet Pea and Snude
Fluke and Bindi
Sophie and Monty
No-toes
Snickers

Speights

Lily and Milo
RIP Olivia
Toby

post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-27-2007, 06:07 PM
Newborn Pup

ohhh, i'm so sorry. at least you have the comfort of knowing that you helped to ease her pain. is there anywhere you can report the petshop to? to let them get into that bad of shape has to be at least neglect, if not outright abuse.
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-27-2007, 11:01 PM
Oily Chickenspew

awww...RIP...hope the other one, No toes, is ok :worried:

Tara
Andy-Chinchilla
Jaws & Chomper-Firebellied Toads Senor-Tiger Salamander
Merlin-Crowntail Betta Harry Potter-Mystery Snail
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-28-2007, 06:56 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

hey everyone
No Toes is going to the vets for a check up and to have a huge matt of her fur removed from her side i would do it but it is real close to the skin and am worried if i cut her.
i contacted the petshop and they talked to the owner of the chinnies i have been told that the girls are not related and that one of them may be pregnant sounds horrible but i hope that it was Olivia(rip) the other girl is in no condition to be bred from, then i got to thinking was this person a breeder? she must have had males if there was a chance that one of them was preggers.
i don't like to judge people as everyone does stuff differently and i have been "outcasted" because i stand by what i believe ie the way i do things does not mean it is the best or only way but these chinnies are/were neglected.
i learnt the hard way to keep my head down- i had people spreading rumors about me as a bad owner and not to buy from me i was offered jobs from the local wildlife park for crying out loud because of my housekeeping does that say i am a bad owner!
but this time i have had enough, this woman and others like her should not have chinnies but sadly its not just chins that are neglected

sorry i rambled i will hop off my soap box now will keep you up to date about No Toes

Chin mummy to

Zoe and Rupert
Sweet Pea and Snude
Fluke and Bindi
Sophie and Monty
No-toes
Snickers

Speights

Lily and Milo
RIP Olivia
Toby

post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-02-2007, 04:20 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

Thumbs up

hey everyone
(mental note try not to ramble!lol)
had No Toes to vet and had her matts removed she has shaved spots now but is better than being in discomfort plus i was relunct to dustbath while her fur was like that.
the vet put a small viewing thingy down her mouth and said her teeth were ok not overgrown or anything i know it isn't as conclusive as xrays but at least she is not showing other signs,
while she paw at her mouth it is because she can't hold her food properly so she usually puts her head into the bowl to pick food out-looks funny but is sad.
however she is looking suspiciously preggers-watch this space

Chin mummy to

Zoe and Rupert
Sweet Pea and Snude
Fluke and Bindi
Sophie and Monty
No-toes
Snickers

Speights

Lily and Milo
RIP Olivia
Toby

post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-02-2007, 04:53 PM
Adolescent Pup

oh dear, looks like yiu could have some babies on your hands soon. sorry about the other one but at least she is not suffering any more xxx

Mama to -

Rabbit - Sooty

Big Sister to -
Squinick
//
Twinkle // Kelly
//
Pink-Winged Sticks! // Fishies!

To those we have lost and are forever asleep... we will never forget you and could never replace you, rest in peace
post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-04-2007, 12:03 PM
Proud New Mommy

Oh no... This is rediculous, people are so so so selfish. If you cannot PROPERLY take care of an animal, don't get it!

I really really hope she is not pregnant. Has the veteranarian weighed her? If so, how much did she weigh and do you have a scale at home to monitor her weight? If not, you may want to get a small cheapie electronic one so you can keep a good eye on her progress.
You did such a great thing rescuing these girls. If you didn't come along they both would have probably starved to death of malaclusion and pure neglect.

How is No Toes today?

"Live your beliefs and you can turn the world around"- Henry David Thoreau
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-04-2007, 04:47 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

hey
NoToes is much happier, she is bald in some spots but has calmed down considerably.
i suspect she is preggers she feels like the other when they have just got pregnant her wieght is 534gms which is up 10(in the space of less than a week ) but that could be because of decent food less stress etc but my instincts say otherwise
yup i do have scales so i wiegh my chinnies regularly.
i have a horrible sneaking feeling that she is actually one of my original girls i took in and sold to a friend who recently sold her to someone because she wasn't breeding.
the 2 chinnies look so similiar and i swear this chinny knows me is really scarey. i hope it isn't her i really do

ps i didn't ramble yay!

Chin mummy to

Zoe and Rupert
Sweet Pea and Snude
Fluke and Bindi
Sophie and Monty
No-toes
Snickers

Speights

Lily and Milo
RIP Olivia
Toby

Tags
pet store