Temperature issues - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Chinchilla Discussion Twitching whiskers, fluffy tails, silky soft fur and all else chinchilla!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-29-2004, 04:57 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

Temperature issues

I just got my chinchillas a few days ago (yay. .. I'll post pics and info as soon as i can). My problem is, today,(it's now 6 pm) the temperature has suddenly risen to 80. . and at such a late hour. My chins don't seem to be over heating, but I have read that this temperature is not good for them. What can i do?

I'm not even sure the temperature is right. I use this atomic clock that has a temometer with it. . and it's been acting screwy lately. . . .

Last edited by tonifersangel; 06-29-2004 at 05:01 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-29-2004, 05:33 PM
Fluffy Potatokisser

You do have A/C right? When my A/C had a difficult time keeping up, I usually add some ice cubes to their water and take the marble tiles out of the freezer and put it in their cages for something cool to sit on. Glass bottles with frozen water or just really cold water in it also works well when the A/C is struggling to keep up.

Chin Mom to Lila, Skye, Ty, Rolex, Calypso, Lizzie, Jax, Sam, Sage, Lorenzo, Spitfire, Holly, Dylan, Leia, Punky, Kylie, Skylar, Jetta, Oreo, Emma, Forest, Georgie, Alexis, Picador and all the kits!
Pittie Mom to Kali and Orion
Rattie Mom to Drake and Dumbo
Bunny Mom to Dutchie
Plain ole Mom to Zach, Brandon and Connor!
Come visit us at
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-29-2004, 06:03 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

I keep putting ice cubs in their cage because I have read they before. They sniff the cubes and lick them a bit, but they don't snuggle with them. I do have an a/c, and the temperature is seting at about 74, but my room seems to be immune. They don't appear to be hot. In fact they've been sleeping all on top of each other as usual (that must get hot)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-29-2004, 06:08 PM
Fluffy Potatokisser

Kourtney, I wouldn't put ice cubes in their cage...ice cubes melt and chinnies will get wet...if they are in a bowl and melt, the babies could drown...You should try what I suggested and the ice cubes could actually be put in a bowl in front of a fan...fans don't usually help much on their own, but it will help to circulate the cooler air. You can also set the fan right by the vent...that way, when the A/C blows the air up, the fan can snatch it and help circulate it.
Can you tell I've had problems with the A/C keeping up before??
I hope this helps

Chin Mom to Lila, Skye, Ty, Rolex, Calypso, Lizzie, Jax, Sam, Sage, Lorenzo, Spitfire, Holly, Dylan, Leia, Punky, Kylie, Skylar, Jetta, Oreo, Emma, Forest, Georgie, Alexis, Picador and all the kits!
Bunny Mom to Dutchie
Come visit us at
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-29-2004, 06:14 PM
Miss New Booty

Mandie gave some wonderful advice! Also Jade had a great idea of using small terra cotta pots, too. Putting them in the freezer to get cold then giving them to the chinnies to lay on them.

~* Jackie *~

post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-29-2004, 07:26 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

Thanks a bunch Mandie. I guess it's really hard to tell what information you find is good or not. Like I said, I had read that before on a website dedicated to chins. Their cage is right next to a vent and a have a fan on the vent as well. There are also ice cubs in their water now as well. BTW, what are some signs that chins are over-heating?
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-29-2004, 07:31 PM
Fluffy Potatokisser

The biggest indicator will be a change in ear color...it will turn more red on beige and tan chinnies, but yours are Standard Grays (I saw them a lot up until the day you got them, very cute!! But you know that already ) With standards, it will be a little harder to see, but you should notice a color change in their ears...they will also be listless. Those are the two that I can think of, there may be more signs, but those are the two major ones...also, any temperature over 75 degrees is going to be a good indicator that they are at risk. Good job with what you've done, I'm sure they will be just fine

Bunny Mom to Dutchie
Come visit us at
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-29-2004, 07:39 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

Well I moved their cage into my bathroom for right now, which is a smaller room, no carpet, and has signifigantly less electrical equipment. They are also right next to a vent. The temperture has already dropped by 2 degrees, and I'm sure it will get to a safe temp before long ^-^
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-29-2004, 11:01 PM
Fluffy Potatokisser

Great Job!

Bunny Mom to Dutchie
Come visit us at
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-30-2004, 08:00 AM
Proud New Mommy

The signs of heat stroke are: rapid or shallow breathing, tongue and gums bright red , bright red ears (the blood vessels will become more visible also), thick, stringy saliva (which, Im sure, is hard to find), rectal temperature 103 degrees F or above, rapid pulse/heart beat greater than 125 (I'm sure that doesn't help you! lol), lying on their side, and not responding to movement close by.

Although, healthy chinchillas can withstand temps of around 83F for a very short period of time. If you have older chins- it would probably be a worse case.

One neat thing you can do to get things cooler is putting the bath house in the fridge or freezer for 15 minutes in order to chill down the dust and make a cool bath. Make sure the dust doesn't get wet when you're doing this, though!

There are so many things to do... My fave is the terra cotta pot!

"Live your beliefs and you can turn the world around"- Henry David Thoreau
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-30-2004, 09:25 AM
Chim-Chim GizzardFanny!

You can also freeze water bottles and such. One major reason ice cubes aren't good is that they can get the fur wet and greatly increase the chance of them getting ringworm. You really don't want your chins to get wet in any way possible.
Also, I saw you kept the temp at 74. You really should keep it NO higher than 70. Mine sometimes drift up to 71 or 72 when the computer and TV are both running but it is always 69 and 70 despite that.

Alicyn

post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-30-2004, 01:51 PM
Part of the Pack

I use marble slabs and cold pop cans from the fridge. They lay on the pops cans. I have marble slabs that fit into the cages, the marble always stays cool, but I also have various tiles I keep in the fridge to put in a cage if I feel it's getting a bit too warm and or waiting for my a/c to cool the room down. I also think the terra cot idea is excellent and will be picking up some of those shortly. What I really like about that idea is that the coolness will surround the chins body and not just come at them from one side.

My wonderful loves:
Emma, Xavier, SweetPea, Mr. Pickles, Mary Beth, Sheldon,Zena,Cadbury,Kapuah,Walter,Lou,Chip, Dilbert, Cartman, Gessepi,Miranda, Henry & Riker (my chins)/ Bunny, Little Cat,Clarissa (cats) , Lucy & Grace (Dappled Doxies) Simon (GSD puppy), Cookie (Australian Shepherd puppy), Captain Jack (cockatiel)
Bella Chinchillas
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-30-2004, 04:00 PM
Proud New Mommy

Yepp.... They're neat

"Live your beliefs and you can turn the world around"- Henry David Thoreau
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-30-2004, 04:17 PM
Chim-Chim GizzardFanny!

We're investing in a portable air conditioner. We keep the house at 70 and I just can't take it! I'm wearing flannel at night in JUNE!!! lol so we're going to get a portable a/c unit and put it in a chin room and i guess just keep the winter coats outside the door so we can slip em on before we go in

I think before that we're going to get some of those marble or ceramic tiles. I think that is an ingenious idea! I mean our freezer is small so its virtually impossible to keep 20 water bottles frozen in there and tiles would take up alot less room in case our a/c craps out on us.

Alicyn

post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-01-2004, 12:35 AM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

Actually, where I moved the chins the temperature is around 68 mostly. I don not keep the temperature of my rom that cold. That's just the setting the ac is on. My mom won't let me turn it down cause "I don't pay the bill" But their cage is right next to a vent in a small room.

I thought about getting a portable ac unit. . .but i don't have $70 + to spend. . .

Tags
chin room, standard gray