Thinking of taking in a rescue...worried about my other chins - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Chinchilla Discussion Twitching whiskers, fluffy tails, silky soft fur and all else chinchilla!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-12-2010, 10:33 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

Thumbs up Thinking of taking in a rescue...worried about my other chins

Hello,
My sister is a vet tech and a friend of hers at their office was kinda forced into rescuing a chinchilla (she's an animal lover and couldnt stand to see the chinchilla in a bad situation). She realized she can't keep him because she doesnt have the time to dedicate to him. My sister asked me to think about it since I'm the only person she could think of who would pamper him! The only reason I'm reluctant is because I have two females and I don't want to introduce an un-neutered male. I have read on a few sites that there are a lot of difficulties when neutering a chinchilla. However, I figured I'd ask here to see if anyone is familiar with this kind of situation... thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-12-2010, 10:39 PM
Adolescent Pup

it is a lot easier to get a male neutered than it is to get females spayed. but if you will not be keeping them in the same cage/living area, then i dont see any reason why you would need to get him neutered.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-12-2010, 10:51 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

they would be together that's the reason he would need to be neutered.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-12-2010, 11:19 PM
Rodentologist

Rate of complications in small exotics are directly related to the skill of the vet. We've neutered several chinchillas with absolutely zero issues. Beautiful surgeries, beautiful healing, and up and bouncing weeks later. Now happily living with ladies.

It's kind of a catch 22 -- most people don't neuter chinchillas because "it's so dangerous", but it's not any more dangerous than an average surgery with a skilled vet. However, a vet doesn't become skilled without clients bringing in those animals.

We are as gods to the beasts of the fields. We order the time o' their birth and the time o' their death. Between times, we ha' a duty. - Terry Pratchett.

"Men have forgotten this truth", said the fox, "But you must not forget it. You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed. - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-13-2010, 03:06 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

That is what i figured... thank you Jennicat!
The vet i take my chinchillas to is an exotic vet so they mainly deal with chinchillas, sugar gliders, and birds. I feel very comfortable with them. I have had two gliders neutered there and they were totally fine! They have always been very good to me so I think I will bring him there if this all works out. Thanks again Jennicat!
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-13-2010, 03:34 PM
I'm not weird, I'm gifted

Chinchillas and other small rodents can have a problem when they get put under. A few years back any operation on a small animal was considered a big risk. But now it's not that big of a deal. There will always be a risk when getting an operation preformed.
I often find, that people who thinks chinchillas have a great risk of dying, is people who haven't updated them selves the last 5-10 years.

/Pia

I apologized if my english is not correct
Owned by chinchillas since 1997
Breeding since 2005

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
<-- Check out my blog for Chinfo
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-13-2010, 04:36 PM
Rodentologist

I would say if your vet neuters sugar gliders, they're likely a good candidate to do a good neuter on a chinchilla. I'd check with them just to be sure -- if they've done guinea pigs, even better because they've got similar issues with their inguinal rings, IIRC.

We are as gods to the beasts of the fields. We order the time o' their birth and the time o' their death. Between times, we ha' a duty. - Terry Pratchett.

"Men have forgotten this truth", said the fox, "But you must not forget it. You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed. - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry