Tough Introductions - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Chinchilla Discussion Twitching whiskers, fluffy tails, silky soft fur and all else chinchilla!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 07-28-2010, 11:10 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

Question Tough Introductions

Good evening everyone, I'm fairly new to the boards but everyone here is so supportive and helpful, I figured I could try and get some opinions here. I have a two year old male chin ( Cosmo) who I adopted a year ago, who is very michievious yet very very sweet. He was abused by his previous owner, sprayed with water to quiet him down among just simple neglect so up until now he has been an one chin home.

Three weeks ago I brought home Reepicheep, my new now 3 month old chin. I did the cage by cage method since he
got home until now and neither particularly mind. The goal now is to get them in the new 4 story cage I bought for them. Since last Saturday I've had thier out time together- which is where I'm in need of advice or opinion. The first night Cosmo shook like a leaf, but since then has calmed down. They just run around playing, and every so often when cosmo is near Reep- Reepicheep will mount Cosmo until Cos runs fast enough or goes through one of his tunnels, the baby will then just go about his play until Cosmo runs by him again, and then it's back to mounting. Now on the 7th or 8th time Cosmo will get ticked and turn around on his hind legs to throw the baby off and bark at him( I intervene before it can go any further) then the cycle repeats. On a rare rare occassion, Cos will try and mount, but the baby gets away. They been out together almost everynight this week and this behavior is consistant. They aren't particularly aggressive toward another, but not particularly affectionate either ( cos will try and groom but Reepicheep just mounts him). Are things going well? I really am hoping them living is in the future, but I don't know if this is realistic.

Thanks for helping!

~Two chinchillas
~One kitty named Boo
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 07-29-2010, 07:10 AM
I'm not weird, I'm gifted

Sounds like every thing is going quite well
At about 3-4 months of age, the kits get very annoying... This happens again when they are about 1 year old.
It sounds like Cosmo knows the little one is just in an annoying phase at the moment

As long as there's no chasing or fur flying, you could try and put them in the same cage. You just need to stay with them and watch what's going on

/Pia

I apologized if my english is not correct
Owned by chinchillas since 1997
Breeding since 2005

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
<-- Check out my blog for Chinfo
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 08-07-2010, 04:49 AM
Playful Pup

having neither of them in the new cage is definitely the best thing to do because they are territorial and giving them plenty of time to adjust is awesome 8)

Tags
chinchilla introduction, littermates