Treat mixes! - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Chinchilla Discussion Twitching whiskers, fluffy tails, silky soft fur and all else chinchilla!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-11-2002, 12:00 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Lifer

Arrow Treat mixes!

UGH!! I went to Petsmart yesterday to pick up some bedding and more Bene-Bac. I of course had to end up in the treat aisle and saw a new chinchilla mix. I can't remember who put it out but I wanted to throw it when I read the ingredients. The first two ingredients were corn meal, and poultry by-products!!!

Corn is so undigestable for chins and WHY on earth would you use a poultry by-product for a vegetarian? Not to mention we have no idea WHICH by-product it was ...

Stephanie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-11-2002, 06:02 PM

eeeeww yuck! Some places will try and sell anything wether it is good for the pet or not!
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-11-2002, 07:28 PM
PitterPatter

what part really grossed me out is the Poultry by products! Ewwwww....my dog food doesn't even have by poultry by products, and dogs are omnivorous! thats just nasty! poor chins!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-11-2002, 07:31 PM

The really sad part is how many chin owners probably give that to thier chins w/o even reading the lable...just cuz it says chinchilla on it.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-11-2002, 08:38 PM

Becki, I have seen alot of that here in the pet stores, people walk in look at teh label and say oh it is for chinchillas, I have stopped a few people and explained to them just because the label says its for chinchillas doesnt really mean it is. That raisins or dried fruit is preferred.

Ughhhh some of these companies!
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-11-2002, 08:52 PM
Resident Chatroom Blonde

That is awful to see stuff like that on the shelves of petstores.I wish they would do research on products before they put it on their shelves for people to buy.
It is ashame we can't send companies on what is good and what isn't for chinchillas and other pets.

post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-12-2002, 03:47 AM

It really is terrible that they'd put out this nasty stuff and market it to chins just to make a buck
Good for you Sassy for trying to set some people straight!
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-21-2002, 08:55 PM

food companies substitute things in their formulas because it saves them money. don't buy what you know is unhealthy and eventually it should go off the market. you could also tell petsmart about it but they might not care or even understand the problem. Also going to petsmart for chinchillas isn't he best place, nor is petco.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-21-2002, 09:20 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Lifer

Thanks, I attempted to tell them and they pretty well gave me the brush off. This is part of the reason I rarely buy anything other than chew toys from a large chain.

Stephanie

Tags
chew toy, chew toys, dog food, dried fruit, pet store, pet stores