Treats? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Chinchilla Discussion Twitching whiskers, fluffy tails, silky soft fur and all else chinchilla!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-08-2005, 10:23 PM Thread Starter

Question Treats?

I saw the favorite snack thread and thought about posting one of my own.

What do you give your chinnies for treats? I'm really all for giving them a healthy alternative for a treat.

I give them as a once in a great while treat of a calcium stick. I know too much calcium in their diet isn't good for them. I do give them raisins, craisins, papaya (for prevention of hair in their digestive system), alfalfa/carrot slims and every once in a great while a Mrs. Pastures horse cookie.

I am going to make them the backyard biscuits eventually. What does everyone else give their chinnies? I just want a list of a healthy alternative to the sugary treats.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-08-2005, 10:41 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

I don't care for the calcium sticks, as I feel they provide little to no calcium and are too high in fat from the seeds to be of much use.

My usual treat is just shredded wheat, but occasionally I'll throw in another cereal I found called Shredded Oats, an alfalfa cookie/ring, or rose hips. I keep raisins and papaya on hand, but mostly use those for picture bribery. Elvis is the one exception - he gets a piece of papaya every few days since he's a fur chewer.

Stephanie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-08-2005, 11:03 PM Thread Starter

Jade, what shredded wheat do you use? The, and forgive me if I'm wrong, Post cereal one? Is that who makes it?

I know I've used the nibble rings for treats, and some don't care for them. Man I have picky chinnies.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-08-2005, 11:10 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

Post is fine, just spoon size unsweetened shredded wheat. I buy the generic, they don't care.

You might also look at Loftys made by Kaytee or I bought some 'horse cookies' that are mainly alfalfa made by Brown's. They love these. Rose hips are probably the most beneficial, and several chain pet stores have started to carry them.

Stephanie

post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-08-2005, 11:15 PM Thread Starter

Jade, I buy the chinchilla cocktail by Vitakraft. I know those have rose hips in them. Though, if I can just buy the rose hips, that would suit me as well. I know I can buy them online, but heck, if I can find a store that just carried those, I'd be as happy as a clam.

I've tried Loftys, and they didn't care for them. Go figure. I know there were some things that the chins liked by FM Brown's, but unfortunately we don't carry them anymore.

I think I may buy some shredded wheat for them. Maybe that'll help with Stitch's poo.

Thanks Jade!
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-09-2005, 11:32 AM

Hi -
I'm a new chin mom (2 little boys Ichi a standard and Ni and ebony) and was wondering at what age they can begin eating raisins?

Thanks!
Jennifer
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-09-2005, 12:58 PM

My chins do not get treats per se. Though, I do have a very healthy grain mix that they think is a treat. I give them a bit of that when they are begging for something tasty. They also get rosehips. I'd be happy to share the recipe for my mix if anyone is interested.
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-09-2005, 01:07 PM Thread Starter

My husband and I were talking earlier when we were giving the chillas their pellets and hay. I was telling him how much I'd love to give them healthier treats. We agreed that we were going to buy shredded wheat for them.

I know they LOVE oats. That has to be one their most favorite things of all besides the raisin.
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-09-2005, 03:15 PM
Kansas City Chinchillas

I give my chins a bit of old fashioned oat meal, unsweetened mini wheats or a piece of calf manna. For exceptional events such as being combed or having a baby I give a raisin.

Cathy
Kansas City Chinchillas

post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-09-2005, 03:37 PM

You can find rose hips at Petsmart, they are in little packages for about $1.50 and you get a decent amount. For one chin it'll last awhile, for more than 1, you might need a couple. But anyway, don't know if you've seen them or not, they are in the bird section usually, they are sold as something to mix into bird food for large parrots.

So anyway, I feed rose hips, papaya for digestion, oats, dried macaroni, piece of calf manna, or shredded wheat. Those are the healthy treats, and since i have such a variety I give him, he thinks he is getting something new everytime because he'll get calf manna then it'll be awhile before he gets it again, since he doesn't get all this everyday or all at once.

As for sugary treats about once a week he gets either dried fruit (bananas, apple or kiwi) raisin, crasin, or a dried blueberry.
My chin is so spoiled.
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-09-2005, 04:52 PM

Shredded wheat and puffed wheat have been our treats. Then again, our babies are only 3 months old, so we really can't try adding more of a variety of treats in their diet yet.
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-09-2005, 06:25 PM

The staple treat around here is unsweetened mini shredded wheat (generic) I also give the occasion craisin, rose hip, rolled oats, or papaya peice.
Chins should not have treats until 6 months of age. The only exception is 1/4 peice of shredded wheat. Shredded wheat is the staple treat because I've noticed my babies tend to steal mom's treats
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-09-2005, 07:43 PM Thread Starter

I actually went out and bought a box of Nibble Rings and Happy Dino by Vitakraft. We're going to the grocery store after the disappointing Packer loss and I'll be buying shredded wheat for the chillas.
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-10-2005, 09:21 AM

Wow! I had a vet that said that Raisins were the root of all evil (this is the guy who sounded like Forrest Gump, for those of who have heard my vet stories). I guess you all took similar advice seriously.

Primarily, I use raisins. I used to use craisins, but those suckers are sweet. There was a period of time where Maureen was being fussy and wouldn't take raisins, so she got dried apricot pieces.

My primary issue with shreaded wheat was the lack of a generic, but then Mandie hooked me up (thanks dear). I will put them into the mix soon.

Jade, thanks for mentioning papaya for fur chewers. Muad'dib has been giving a special on hair cuts lately. I wish I knew what set him off, because we moved in over a month ago.

Patti
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-14-2005, 11:19 PM

I'd be happy to share the recipe for my mix if anyone is interested.[/QUOTE]

I'd like to know your recipe, will you post it?

Tags
dried fruit, pet store, pet stores, rolled oats, shredded wheat