treats - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Chinchilla Discussion Twitching whiskers, fluffy tails, silky soft fur and all else chinchilla!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-12-2005, 06:46 PM Thread Starter

Lightbulb treats

i have just acquired a chinchilla, xander. i've read up a decent amount to know that too many treats may lead to constipation and various GI problems; however i havent been able to find info on how much is considered too much?

ive only had xander for a few days and im just trying to "tame" him. for example, yesterday i fed him two baby carrots and one unsalted peanut. he also nibbled on a small chunck of mango. is this too many sweets for the little guy? and do you guys have any advice on how to make him feel comfortable and gain his trust?

stina
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-12-2005, 07:20 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

That's much too many for him.

Treat wise, I prefer to stick to dry, low sugar and low fat treats. The baby carrots are probably not going to harm him but I wouldn't advise them. Peanuts are VERY high in fat and can contain aflatoxins which can be harmful, so I'd not give those.

Mango if dried can be a good treat, but only a pea sized piece maybe once a week. At 4 months old, I'd give him until 6-8 months before offering any more sweet treats.

Treat amount should be no more than one per day. Some good things to offer include unsweetened shredded wheat squares, oats, alfalfa rings, etc. Sweet things he can have down the line for the most part should be dry, but can include raisins, mango, papaya, apple, etc. Again, limit these greatly. Obesity and liver problems can occur from improper diet.

As far as taming him, you may want to read my article on bonding:
http://www.chinnitude.com/bond.htm
The best piece of advice I can offer is lots of patience and don't let him have 'out time' except with you for the first few months. Good luck!

Stephanie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-12-2005, 08:02 PM
Paw-Talk Therapist

Yup, what Jade said Chins don't need treats, we just think they do A good healthy diet and lots of attention go much further. Once there is trust between you and the chin, the addiction will grow....

Owned by 26 chins, 7 cats, 2 dogs, and 7 aquariums

Come drop by!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-13-2005, 03:40 AM
Part of the Pack

Congrats on your new addition! You have been given some terrific information. Back off the treats and stick to dried fruit only (cranberries, apples, raisins) along with an occasional shredded wheat or pinch of rolled oats, not instant oats.

Chins require a very basic diet and their tummies can get upset with too much variety, too often.

Tags
dried fruit, rolled oats, shredded wheat