Treats - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Chinchilla Discussion Twitching whiskers, fluffy tails, silky soft fur and all else chinchilla!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-26-2008, 03:50 AM Thread Starter

Treats

Hey all.... just trying to broaden my chins' horizons as it were.... i was wondering what everyone gives them for treats. Mine love raisins; they are kinda shameless once i open the tin and they smell them. They will do anything then .... i have tried shredded wheat, and they are a little skeptical. I am not sure what else is chin safe though.... any suggestions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-26-2008, 03:14 PM
Movin' Up in the Pack

Rose hips are great! They're low in sugar and have good vitamins. Optimus loved them. Make sure they're crushed though. I stopped giving raisins because of the sugar content.

The breeder I go to has tons of treats that are completely safe. She has alfalfa rings and said that the chins think they're getting a treat, but really its just hay. She also has these "cookie" things that only have four ingredients and her chins go crazy for them.

My only advice is to stay away from the treats in the Pet stores! There is a lot of information on this forum about how bad they are and also the night that Optimus passed away the vet wanted to know if we had given him any treats that are common in pet stores. Usually those treats are way too high in sugar.

post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-26-2008, 04:30 PM Thread Starter

yes, pet store ones are terrible, nooo more of them.... i have concluded they may have given one of mine a seizure no good at all. where do you get rose hips from? i know they grow wild here in alaska buttt... i dont know where you pick them... haha
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-26-2008, 05:02 PM
Movin' Up in the Pack

I get mine from the breeder. You can order them off-line from any chinchilla supply web store. I heard that organic health food stores sell them as well. Just make sure they're crushed because the whole ones have little thistle type things that make chins mouths itch.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-26-2008, 05:34 PM Thread Starter

Ah, that might be bad crushed it is