tunnels? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Chinchilla Discussion Twitching whiskers, fluffy tails, silky soft fur and all else chinchilla!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-10-2006, 12:58 AM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

tunnels?

hello everyone,
lately I have been reading that chins like tubes to run through and play in...I think my Hayley would enjoy that. Should I buy farret tubes? Is pvc piping ok? what would you suggest?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-10-2006, 08:31 AM
Newborn Pup

from what I've learned nothing with plastic, or anything else that is indigestible. they WILL gnaw, chew and eat it. and no paper towel, tp tubes that are bleached material (white ones) or have glue residue on it.

There are specialty tubes that you can purchase on line or at your local pet supply store.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-12-2006, 03:20 PM
Adolescent Pup

I bought PCV tube-type things from Home Depot. They are sturdy and chins have a hard time chewing pieces off, so they don't do it. They have a variety of shapes and bends.. But they aren't clear or anything, so you cant really make a huge tunnel. My chins love them!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
NaTaLiE
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Setsuki (std) Coolio (bv) Butters (pw) & Diamond (sap) the chinchillas
Mortimer the cat
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-13-2006, 07:22 AM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

thats what I was thinking...what size did you get?
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-14-2006, 06:47 AM
Chim-Chim GizzardFanny!

you can get the three inch or four inch diameter ones. They really like the ones that join the long tubes together that are in weird shapes. Make sure you wash them REALLY well tho.
Also the rolls that come from carpet, they're about 3 inch diameter. And the rolls that you ship posters and such in. Cardboard is perfectly fine for them. I give them TP rolls to chew on all the time.
Then there are also the tubes you can buy a the petstore, those are fine also. I also give mine capri sun juice boxes. I open up both ends and they love shredding them to pieces.

Alicyn

post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-14-2006, 08:28 AM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

lol, thats so cute about the juice boxes! I already give mine TP tubes. Its fun just to watch them throw them around and chew them up. Thanks for your help guys, I think I can make their cage a little more interesting now. Happy mothers day all you mothers on this board!
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-14-2006, 10:54 PM
Newborn Pup

I make hanging fleece tunnels for my chinchilla and then he has a very large PVC pipe. He likes the fleece one better.
I think I may try the juice box thing! That's sounds really cute!
>^.^<
Capri Sun has cardboard juice boxes?
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-16-2006, 10:15 AM
Newborn Pup

I am a self proclaimed over protective mommy, I'll admit it.
But with our recent surgery and MANY visits to the vets, watching her be sick, force feeding and medicating every 2 hours, I feel I have to weigh in.

Depending on the chin and how much they chew, PVC may pose an issue.

through this process I called 7 different breeders in Washington, Iowa, Chicago, Florida, etc.

They said in sudden and early death necromacies (autopsies) there often are bits and pieces of plastic embeded in the stomach and in intestines since it can't be digested. some of it led to internal bleeding.

My vet confirmed this, as I was originally skeptical. She thought it might have aggrevated the issues my chilla was having.

It may or may not be true, but my chilla totaled a heavy duty plastic feed bowl, and I didn't see any plastic pieces in the cage. I have to assume she consumed them. She's a gnaw and chew baby.

So I prefer to err on the safe side. I buy the tubes at the pet store that are made of compressed material that has not been bleached or glued. They are no more expensive than the biggest one at $5.00 and they last at least a month.

The bleached paper tubes (white ones instead of brown) are that way because they are bleached, and if they are shiny they are also coated with a water resistant material (I used to be in beauty product Research and Development). Probably little to no risk, but bleach is a toxic chemical and if it means finding a brown one without glue residue on the outside, happy to do it.

again, probably over protective, but if it makes even a miniscule difference.....I learned that the peace of mind is worth it, knowing that if chilla does get sick, I didn't knowingly contribute to it or make it worse, I feel a little better about the situation.

it's worth to keep Chincy safe happy and healthy and it doesn't take all that much extra effort.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-17-2006, 09:59 PM
Chim-Chim GizzardFanny!

Chins will chew straight through the plastic bowls but PVC Is alot more dense then the bowls. I myself have switched to metal bowls because of a freak accident involving a broken leg and the fact that they do chew the bowls to pieces. I don't leave PVC tubes in the cage and wouldn't recomend it. Just for play time.

My Capri Suns come in a cardboard box in a 10 pack. the box is the perfect size for them and they shred it to pieces.

Is there a way you keep the fleece in the shape of a tunnel or do they figure out how to get through it eventually?

Alicyn

post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-24-2006, 01:32 AM
Newborn Pup

OHH! duh lol
no, he knows how to use it. I also had a customer saying that her chinchilla loves it. I guess they just figure it out!
>^.^<

Tags
broken leg, cardboard box, pet store, pet supply store