!ugh! - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Chinchilla Discussion Twitching whiskers, fluffy tails, silky soft fur and all else chinchilla!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-15-2003, 11:22 PM Thread Starter

!ugh!

Okay this is more like a venting session, We went into this pet store tonight after we picked up the 3 female Chinnies I mentioned before. Anyhow we went to this store as it being on the way home, and I just wanted to explode, I wanted to to take every chinchilla all 5 of them and run like the wind. There were 3 of them that were being housed in 10 gallon tanks by themselves, 2 of which looked full grown, and one of which looked rather young still (Black Velvet) this poor Chin was so distressed, you could see it in his/hers eyes, it had a severe bald spot right between the shoulder blades and even looked as though it was the closing of an open would. GRRRRRR this just made me so MAD!!! What is one to do in a situation like that, the owner of store of course was not there, not that me putting my 2 cents in would of done any good, and to top it off they were selling these Chins at a ridiculous high price, I doubt they are going to sell, and if they do in that kind of enviroment, what kind of home would they go to? UGH, I wish there was something I could do, or could of done. I sit here and wonder about those little chinnies, and what their legal rights are. I mean c'mon would you like to be housed in a 10 gallon tank if you were their size, or suffer like I know that little black velvet is. I am NOT directly saying this to anyone of you, just venting as if I were talking to the owner of the dang pet store. How can somebody run a place that houses animals so poorly???? Okay I'm gonna stop for now, and I know I could go on and on about this, and probably even eventually sound like a broken record. Sometimes it just helps to vent, if it only helps a little!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-15-2003, 11:26 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

You really don't have a WHOLE lot of options, unfortunately. What you might do is print out some info on care for them ...

You can try to call the local SPCA or a similar organization and complain but it rarely does any good.

Stephanie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-15-2003, 11:29 PM Thread Starter

That is kinda what I thought too Jade.... I just had to vent, because it upset me so much to see them in such poor conditions.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-15-2003, 11:34 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

I totally understand. I got my Geri from a pet store ... her story's typed out on my site if you're interested at all: http://www.chinnitude.com

She's now paired with my neutered male and they're my sweetest pair.

Stephanie

post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-16-2003, 12:12 AM Thread Starter

Jade WOW!!! I've been to your site before but I can honestly say I've never read Geri's story, and WOW is the only word that comes to mind. I'm glad Geri has you and you have her, she is lucky to have a mommy like you, or shall I say you are lucky to have such a special gal
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-16-2003, 01:33 AM
Paw-Talk Lifer

Aww, thank you. She's my baby, that's for sure! (Well, they ALL are but ... They each have their special quirks and stories that make them special.)

On another note, I did give the pet store such a hard time and they had such little success selling chins that the last time I went in there, they told me they had stopped "stocking" them. So that was a victory in and of itself.

Stephanie

post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-16-2003, 07:15 AM

I dont feel that pet stores should be allowed to carry chinnies, I have never seen a pet store take the proper care of a chinnie.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-16-2003, 08:13 AM

I have to say that in our town we a great Mom and pop store that take great care of a ll of their stock Chinni's included. thye won't sell them unless they know that the housing they are going into is correct and they have all the supplies on hand to make sure everyone's going to be healthy. It's pretty neat to see their set up and the Chins don't stay very long either. While they are there they're housed properly and fed a great diet.

(I guess I just wanted to defend the one place that has been instrumental to developing my personal love for animals!)

But I agree that there are too many sad excuses for pet stores to defend them at all!
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-16-2003, 10:05 AM Thread Starter

Jade that is great to hear and Sassy I agree too, I don't feel they should either..... lvnmygirls what town in Wisconsin?? if you don't mind me asking, I'm on the Ill/Wisc border that is why I asked. This particular store was more towards Chicago. I would love to be able to find a decent mom/pop pet store, I think those are the best kind of stores, pets or otherwise
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-16-2003, 06:57 PM

We're in Janesville, it's about 20 minutes north of Rockford.

We have two great stores here Preferred pets next to Shopko ( off of highway 14) and Mounds across the street from ToysRUS off of Milton Ave.( It's on a side road behind The Ground Round) They don't sell pets at Mounds.

Tags
black velvet, neutered male, pet store, pet stores