Uh-oh! Mo's biting! - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Chinchilla Discussion Twitching whiskers, fluffy tails, silky soft fur and all else chinchilla!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-25-2004, 10:18 PM Thread Starter
Movin' Up in the Pack

Uh-oh! Mo's biting!

I need help and advice! My chinchilla has recently picked up the wonderful technique of biting to help him get his way. It's ALWAYS because he wants down, which I can't do all that easily in my little apartment full of cords and small little corners. I do let him run up and down the hallway from time to time when I can sit at one end. I just need suggestions if there is any way to deter this whole biting behavior. His bites haven't hurt yet I just want to stop them before they get worse. I don't know what to do! Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated! I've gotten so much great advice on here already! Thanks! What would I do without PT?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-25-2004, 10:48 PM
Movin' Up in the Pack

First of all don't let him down when he demands it by nipping. Find something to distract his thinking like carrying him around and talking to him. Give him something to play with. Second I gently blow on my chins face if they nip. I discourage this behavior even though it isn't aggressive. Your chins needs to be mentally and physically busy, use your imagination to keep him occupied. For extra exersize consider a Lee's giant critter ball for him to run around the house in. My chins love this and will run for an hour or more at a time.
Hope this helps.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Team Captain: Mother of 250 chinchillas!
New litters weekly...I must be nuts
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-25-2004, 10:56 PM
Fluffy Potatokisser

Quote:
Originally Posted by chinhappy
First of all don't let him down when he demands it by nipping. Find something to distract his thinking like carrying him around and talking to him. Give him something to play with. Second I gently blow on my chins face if they nip. I discourage this behavior even though it isn't aggressive. Your chins needs to be mentally and physically busy, use your imagination to keep him occupied. For extra exersize consider a Lee's giant critter ball for him to run around the house in. My chins love this and will run for an hour or more at a time.
Hope this helps.
I use the blowing in the face technique and it usually works well...the critter balls are in debate. they are not well ventilated and chins can and will poo and pee in them. warm chinnie pee, plus poor ventilation can create a sauna effect...making it unsanitary and stinky situation, not to mention dangerous for the health of the chin. Plus you have a chin running around in it's own urine and feces gettin into their coats and just making them nasty. I did have one before, and used it, but upon learning how dangerous they actually are for chins, I have since gotten rid of them. Before I had a safe chin room set up, I would put the toilet seat down and make sure there was no water in the sink and tub and let them run in the bathroom (supervised of course) Bathrooms are generally easy to chin proof and usually a nice safe play area for chins. You could also try to see about getting a critter playpen (can be purchased at most petstores) These (I feel) are safer and more hygenic alternatives to critter balls.

Chin Mom to Lila, Skye, Ty, Rolex, Calypso, Lizzie, Jax, Sam, Sage, Lorenzo, Spitfire, Holly, Dylan, Leia, Punky, Kylie, Skylar, Jetta, Oreo, Emma, Forest, Georgie, Alexis, Picador and all the kits!
Pittie Mom to Kali and Orion
Rattie Mom to Drake and Dumbo
Bunny Mom to Dutchie
Plain ole Mom to Zach, Brandon and Connor!
Come visit us at
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-25-2004, 11:05 PM
Movin' Up in the Pack

That's odd I have been using the critter balls for many yrs and my chins have never peed in them or over heated. My friends and customers love them too. I guess like everything, bad experiences can occur.

post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-25-2004, 11:05 PM
Resident Chatroom Blonde

I used the blow in the face too.I have only had one to bite me hard and that is what broke him.As far as the ball I have never used them.I am fortunate enough to have a room for my chins.

post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-26-2004, 07:26 AM Thread Starter
Movin' Up in the Pack

I do have one of the big critter balls. He absolutely loves it and will jump from his cage directly into it as soon as he sees it. He has peed in it twice but I'm always checking him when he's in the ball so when I see pee I take him out of it and wash it. Usually I can tell when it's happening because the ball will sit still for too long.
I hadn't thought of blowing in his face. That's a great idea. I do know that he HATES that. Thanks so much!
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-26-2004, 01:11 PM
Adolescent Pup

When I got my chin, he was a biter. It took me about a week of blowing in his face, and he was broke of it. He hasn't bit me since. If you are consistent with it, you wont have to keep blowing in his face for the rest of his life, just for a couple days, then they'll stop. :-)
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-26-2004, 05:47 PM
Movin' Up in the Pack

It wouldn't take me more than a couple of days either.

post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-10-2004, 01:50 PM
Movin' Up in the Pack

Hey is Mo behaving himself these days???

post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-10-2004, 02:46 PM Thread Starter
Movin' Up in the Pack

Thank you for asking!
It's funny, now when he takes a nibble he just puts his ears down and gets ready for the blow in the face that he knows is coming! He really doesn't hurt, though. I don't let him down as often anymore and I think that's helping too. He doesn't always expect to get down to play, so he doesn't bite to get down.
I'm hoping his behavior will improve once I can put him in his brand new melamine cage with his 2 new buddies (still in quarentine). We'll see, though.
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-10-2004, 02:59 PM
Movin' Up in the Pack

Thats so funny about the ears. I have some that put their ears down when they realize I'm not opening their cage to take them out. The ears fall and the little head tilts to the side

post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-12-2004, 09:14 PM
Playful Pup

I have a critter ball that Ben loves. As soon as he sees it he bouncing around the cage. I don't let him stay in it for long period of time. He has never peed in it. I clean it with bleach every month or so.

Tags
chin room, sit still