Update on Chin Rescue - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Chinchilla Discussion Twitching whiskers, fluffy tails, silky soft fur and all else chinchilla!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-03-2003, 12:31 AM Thread Starter

Angry Update on Chin Rescue

Hello everyone. I just wanted to give an update on the chins. I am actually leaving tomorrow am (monday morning) to head to Charlotte from Greenville to get two of her Chinchillas. Jade was going to meet the lady with me to make sure I got two of the same sex, but the timing wasn't right, so now I am really nervous about making sure I pick out the best two and the same sex. I am pretty new at this, but I am thinking of this as a test. Hopefully all the info I have received from Jade and the research will have paid off. The lady has been contacted by others to take in the other chins too, so they are all getting good homes.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-03-2003, 12:38 AM

It should be easy if you get 2, that way you can compare. I think it's pretty easy to tell if they're mature too, especially the boys Good luck tomorrow!
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-03-2003, 08:31 PM Thread Starter

I don't even know where to begin so here it goes.....I arrived in the parking lot only to find all six of the chinchillas in one two story cage (martin's) in the back of the van. They were not secure at all...they were all in there hopping around. You would have had a total fit!!! The cage was rusty to the point where it was flaking on the floor and ramps. I took the chins out one by one and checked them all out and they all seem to be shedding. There fur was soft though. I had no trouble at all sexing them; I don't know why she couldn't do it. It was very distinguishable because the boys were older and the two youngest were girls. O.K. back to the cage. There was only one cup that was secured to the cage (ferret's feeder style) and it holds no more than half a cup this was all for six chinchillas. She was refilling the cup once a day, but there is no gurantee on who is getting the most and which ones are being left out. Plus there was only one water bottle. I once again had to explain to her that the females need to get out of that cage due to inbreeding. I asked her if she had given them names and she told me"yes, but I don't know which is which". I chose the two younger boys. I got the one boy that had been nipped inside the ear to the point it is scabby. Do I treat this like I would Melody with perioxide and ointment? This little guy is being put in my smaller cage. The other male is fine. They are very sociable and will just lay in my arms when I held them...another reason why I chose these two. I spent an hour with this lady telling her everything she was doing wrong..I didn't really have any positives. As I was about to leave she handed me the bag of food and lets me know that she doesn't know what kind of food this is, but it is what she had left over. The food I got is pellets, but they are about 1/2" in diameter and 1" long! This was not for chinchilla's. I had it checked out and it was dx "RABBIT FOOD"!!! I could not believe it. I am going by my first instinct and just give them a whole cup of the Mazuri and I am not mixing it with this rabbit food. OK....now I have vented through typing although I would like to do it in words. Now, What I need to know is: How do I treat the scab inside the ear? What harm has already been done in these animals by digesting the wrong kind of food?

Now the good news. I made it to Greensboro no problem. The cage is a whole lot better than what I had expected. I am so glad I bought it used and not new to keep me from having to put it together. It totally filled up the length and width of my mom's van. It has three full floors that I can actually close off and have three one floor cage. I have it ready to put Carrera in it. I also have my camera and I will take a pic of this Chins ear with Melody holding him.

Well that sums up my day...hope yours was better. I am sure it was.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-03-2003, 08:33 PM Thread Starter

I forgot to mention...the cage I found was a used Chinchilla Townhouse (martin's). It is sixty inches high and somewhere around thirty inches wide. It is wonderful. I am putting Carrera in this one. The two I just got today aren't not getting this nice one since I have to quarintine both of them.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-04-2003, 02:23 AM

Ooh, nice cage, I love those ones!

About your new chins, if the scab looks ok and not infected or anything I would just leave it alone and let it heal. If it does look dirty or infected, peroxide and/or polysporing should work but be careful not to let any get in his ear.
With the food, alot of people use rabbit pellets (not saying that's good or bad), I personally would mix them with the mazuri and wean them over to that, but I don't think any harm would come from just giving them the mazuri either. Just keep an eye on poos and make sure everything stays normal! It sounds like they are very lucky to have found you, good luck with them!
Oh yeah, pictures!!
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-05-2003, 10:31 AM
Paw-Talk Lifer

Brenda, it's a darn good thing I didn't go with you!

High quality (show) rabbit pellets are widely used by larger ranchers and don't cause issues. It's the lesser, pet store quality brands that do have issues, much like pet store chin feed. I'd definitely switch them slowly to Mazuri, intestinal upset, diarrhea, and bloat (which can lead to death) are problems that can occur due to a sudden switch in feed. If they refuse the old pellets altogether, give more hay and slowly up the amount of Mazuri in the cage.

Make sure the ear is indeed a wound and not ringworm too. You may want your vet to take a fungal culture to be on the safe side, they're relatively cheap. Scratching at it can cause it to scab over and appear like a wound. In the meantime just clean it with soapy water. Don't bother with the peroxide, it will irritate the area and the chin. No dustbaths for him until totally healed also.

I'm so glad you were able to take these guys and hope you have no problems from them! You're a saint for taking them!

Stephanie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-06-2003, 07:10 PM
Proud New Mommy

I definately agree!! They are so lucky to have found you, and it sounds like you feel lucky you found them, also! I really hope everything turns out good with them, which im sure it will!! Congrats on the new chins... and pictures!!

"Live your beliefs and you can turn the world around"- Henry David Thoreau
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-06-2003, 10:34 PM Thread Starter

Thanks....I haven't come up with a name yet. I just keep calling them "sweet Boy". I am thinking of "Tom & Jerry" Kinda seems appropriate. Anyway all is going well. As you know one I have been treating for the ear bite. I have been using peroxide on his ear and it looks alot better. The first time I cleaned the ear I went through two q-tips and discovered it was mostly dried blood. Anyway luckily we dodged the vet. I have to really look closely to even see the spot on his ear. I am still not giving him a dust bath. I did have to give in though when I first got him and I just had to let him get cleaned up. This was has been a biter though, I don't know if it's because of his ear or what. The other guy is very quiet and shy, so I am leaving him alone unless I have to tend to the cage. Oh, I never did mention that these two came from a "smoke filled" home. The lady was a chain smoker. These two guys had that awlful smell and it is still lingering on.

Rocheal...I do have pics I just need to remember to take the film into CVS!! I put it in my pocketbook as a reminder, but I never think about it when I am out.

Tags
dust bath, pet store, rabbit food, rabbit pellets