update on my sick chin - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Chinchilla Discussion Twitching whiskers, fluffy tails, silky soft fur and all else chinchilla!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 02-03-2006, 09:55 AM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

update on my sick chin

I have talked to several people this morning, and after calling about 7 different numbers, I found 2 chin vets in the Wausua area. Unfortunatly it is still a drive for me and 1 of the vets cant even see me today. My dog's vet has experience in small animals and could help me, but he is gone until Monday. Can I hold off until then? The Vet's office in Wausau said that once they show signs of illness that means they are very sick. Is this true? Another vet I talked to (also has worked with small pets) said that I should wait it out and it sounded like a cold to him that should pass. Not sure who I should listen to. She seems better today her breathing is more controlled, and her sniffling has drecreased significantly. I am waiting for a vet north of here to get back to me yet. I shall keep you posted.

Kellie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 02-03-2006, 11:39 AM
Adolescent Pup

The vet's office is right. Since chins are prey animals, they tend to hide their illnesses very well. If it were my chin with a respiratory problem, I'd take them in right away. It can quickly develop into pneumonia and from what I have seen, not many chins recover from this. Even if it seems like she is doing better now, I'd still take her in just to be sure.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 02-03-2006, 12:45 PM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

*phew* I got Angel in to a vets office north of me (an hour away) and he concluded that it is nothing more than sinus related. Her lungs are clear, she has a good steady heartrate and she is at a healthy weight. I showed him the "never use" antibiotics list, and he gave me a drug called Baytril. Im suppose to give her an eighth of a tablet every 12 hours. I think Im going to hide the medicine in a raisin. Does anyone have any better ideas about how to give medicine to a chin???